Gearbox and clutch leaks

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Re: Gearbox and clutch leaks

Post by fraze »

I shoved in a few standard size" o" rings out of an "el cheapo" "o" ring kit I bought at a swap meet, enough to approximate the thickness of the cork seal.
I thinks they are probably Nitrile rubber which swells up in mineral oil, anyway that was a few years ago and it has never leaked a drop since. Fraze
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

You get used to putting a tray or peice of cardboard under them and as above they drip like a horny teenager most of the time. Ive been chasing leaks ever since my resto finished and have improved it marginally at best apart from the obvious ones - interested what the experienced guys think of the stop leak products on the market that claim to freshen and keep fresh engine seals etc - do they help or hinder?

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If there ain't no oil under it, there ain't no oil in it. :lol:

They were designed to weep from factory. As an example, from the EK Workshop manual:
TRANSVERSE SELECTOR SHAFT OIL SEAL
An occasional drop of oil from the transmission selector shaft does not warrant attention. However, excessive leakage indicates a defective oil seal

Out of curiosity, these shafts were provided with O-rings by the factory for LHD models.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.