Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post by In the Shed »

Looks sharp Neil,
Yep Dave from Tonnos n stuff does a good job :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Frankenstein was delivered to RJM Custom Auto' yesterday for surgery Ryan informed me this morning that they have already installed the high stall and he was able to drive Frank for a very short time, he says it is over fueling a lot so now onto the dyno for tuning, should be done by Tuesday and then need the engineer to witness and sign off on the tune, after that need to have weighed, wheel alignment, final inspection by engineer including brake test I assume and then oh so close to registration :clap: :clap:
Frank asleep on the hoist in Ryan' workshop last night.
Resized_Screenshot_20200528-071914_YI_IoT.jpg
Resized_Screenshot_20200528-071914_YI_IoT.jpg (116.51 KiB) Viewed 394 times
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Nice one Neil.
I see that you can’t go anywhere without being spotted on ‘Perth Classic Car Spotto’ yesterday. 😆
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Trev yeh apparently, Robyn showed me last night that Frank was on there.

Might have to have a club BBQ (when we can) for Franks christening party :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

Good to hear mate

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Well things were going pretty well on Thursday, they got the initial tune done
Resized_20200604_100230.jpeg
Resized_20200604_100230.jpeg (379.37 KiB) Viewed 330 times
They were checking cylinder temps and found #1 cylinder down a bit, they swapped spark plugs, made no difference, checked injector condition and found them to be in really good nick.
They pulled spark plugs yesterday morning and did a compression test, #1 had zero compression :wtf: :wtf:
Rocker cover removed and the rocker post bolts for #1 were backed off half a turn, the cylinder checked again and it had come up to 150psi, a fresh engine should be 160-180psi an engine with a lot of K's should be around 120psi.
So both valves on #1 were being held open slightly, my thought is that this may also be one of the reasons for my low inlet manifold vacuum.
I've pulled Frankenstein out of the workshop to save me some money as it has already cost me just under 3K :roll:
Am going to pull rockers and figure out what is going on hopefully an easy fix. :whistlinggg:
The good thing is that I have the initial tune on the Delco memcal and the converter has been so if I get this sorted the Ute should be sort of drivable and will only need to go back for the final tune.
The drama of building cars :crazy: :crazy: 1 step forward and 2 steps back :roll: :roll:
Frustrated Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Bugger. Hopefully it hasn't done enough miles to barbeque the valves from being cracked open all the time.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Harv I think it has only happened since I have had the engine because Noel the guy I got the engine from originally had roller rockers on it (not adjustable as it's a hydraulic cam) he put the VR rockers on it before he sent the engine to me and I have only run it sparingly beside I don't think the compression would have come up if the valves are shot but you are so right you can imagine how pissed I was but as I said hopefully a fairly easy fix may have to shim the rocker posts, will check out the push rods and hopefully the lifters are ok otherwise the inlet manifold has to come off.
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Should be okay, let’s hope so. Like you say it’s barely run since valve gear was fiddled with. Ironing out the bugs now, looking good Neil. Should be a sweet motor for relatively low dollars when it’s sorted mate.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Pisser about the motor Neil, but I’m sure you’ll nut it out in your own shed. So close!
Good luck mate.
Cheers, John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Thanks guys got into it yesterday and confirmed what they told me, checked out the push rods and they look ok, changed the rockers for spares that I had and it didn't change anything so I'm going to pull rockers on #3 & 5 and change the rocker plate that holds the rockers in position, its aluminium so may be worn and I have a spare will try this before shimming #1.
I don't think it can be the lifters, I could understand if the rocker was too lose meaning lifter not holding oil pressure.
And yes it will be a pretty stout little motor once sorted, I spoke to Noel who I bought the engine from and he told me that when he had it in his VH race car he did 210kmh at 6100 rpm.
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Bugger Neil !

When you start chasing issues like this its very frustrating ! This certainly could explain the rough idle down low and the vacuum as you have said.

I hope the valves haven't been hit by the piston because they were held open, sorry I always think of the worst cause this stuff has happened to me more times than I can remember.

Cars are here to test your endurance !!!!! Good luck hopefully a quick fix.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Gee I could only get my VN sv6 up to 205 on the Pt Wakefield Road. It wouldn’t shift up to overdrive with the foot flat as I recall.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Those top ends are slower than I would have thought. A VK Commodore 308 Calais, bog stock with the Traumatic, will climb over 200 with the A/C on in the middle of summer. On a race track, of course.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Two hitchhikers were slowing me down

EK van on rotisserie