Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

Re: Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post by 59wagon »

Noice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Can somebody tell me how I can change the photos in my thread to replace the ones that tiny pics has rubbed out.

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Haven't done much for a little while, life getting in the way but I had been pissed off with my wiring in the cabin and not knowing what to do with it, everytime I opened the door and looked at the mess I would just close the door again but the light at the end of the tunnel has shown up in the form of a mobile auto electrician calls himself Crazy APE (Automotive Performance Electrical) Matt is absolutely awesome he spent 9 hours at my place in 35 degree heat and has taken my mess and started to turn it into a proper wiring harness, he still has a couple of hours to do and is coming back Wednesday to finish, it happy days.

Fitted my seat belts yesterday and it looks like I may have solved my brake problem, thanks to Clay I found that the non return valve in the booster was stuffed couldn't suck or blow through it so replaced it and because if the low vacuum at the manifold I've bought a vac pump and reservoir kit from ebay, fitted it under the drivers side guard wired it up, once I fitted the in line non return valve that Nigel thankfully reminded me about :wink: :roll: seems to be all working, have good pedal drop but haven't tested under power yet

Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Toowomba is only 7 months away Neil.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Clay would love to go will just have to wait and see how we go usually a busy time for me with workload.

Engineer is away in Europe I think for the rest of this year, tidy up of wiring finished this week, carpet and bench in maybe in a week or so, exhaust to do so engineering maybe January or February, don't know about you guys but we have to have a dyno test done along with all the other hoops we have to jump through.

Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

FireKraka wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:54 pmdon't know about you guys but we have to have a dyno test done along with all the other hoops we have to jump through.
Dyno to verify emissions still meet those of the donor vehicle, or dyno to verify power output?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Dyno to verify power output Harv

Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Hi Neil,
It looks like you are making some good progress. Hope to visit you in the van in a couple of weeks for a catch up as we'll be in town.
Trevor.
Harv

Post by Harv »

FireKraka wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:17 amDyno to verify power output Harv
Interesting.

In NSW, the NCOP laws apply in most cases, with no limitation on power for engineered cars (limits are imposed on engine size instead). There was some discussion on one of the forums about a year ago that NSW was about to change the requirements, and introduce power limits (kW/tonne), similar to those imposed on P-platers (130kW/tonne for P-platers in NSW) but somewhat higher (from memory either 150 or 200kW/tonne). The limits bandied about would have sunk my wagon project (it runs 214kW/tonne). I got very, very nervous about completing the project. Looks like it was just noise though, as nothing eventuated.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Interesting.

I've heard in some cases apparently they have asked for sweep tests over here to double check engine capacity seeing as all SBC's look the same.

Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Harv

Post by Harv »

I came close to that in the first inspection. The engine is a 350 block, with a 327 crank (the only bit that varies is stroke). When the engineer asked midway through the inspection about block number, I told him 350 block, 327 crank. He requested the heads be removed so that the stroke could be verified. I told him that I had tried to do the right thing (several people had offered to build a 383 in the 350 block, as "no-one would know"), and mentioned the builders name. Thankfully, he knew and trusted the builder as long as I could provide the build sheet, and I did not have to remove the heads.

This engineering game is not much fun :( .

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Have to admire you guys perserverence with all this hoohar

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Trev good to hear from you and would be good to catch up just give me a buzz mate.

Harv I'm fairly lucky that the engineer that I use is a pretty decent guy, he is happy to see photos during the build and doesn't bother you much all of the demands are made by the Modified Car Section in the Department of Transport over here just seems to get harder and harder.

Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I have had two engineers look at my cars in the past !

One is so paranoid I don't know how he gets out of bed and faces the day, he was even scared to do a visual report for me on a second hand car that I bought for a lease (blue slip required), needless to say I don't use him anymore.

The other I am using says to me, I don't like to complicate things !! I had him come and inspect half way through and he said no problems at all.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Happy days :clap: :clap: :clap: , Matt from Crazy A.P.E. and his apprentice spent another 10 hours at my place yesterday on my spaghetti of wiring (I was going to say "bunch of c#@ts") and has turned it into what can only be called a work of art, he is a self confessed OCD sufferer and didn't want to leave until it was all done.
He not only sorted some minor issues that I had but was able to combine the 4 different wiring harnesses (loose term for what they were :shifty: :shifty:) into one harness.
The 4 harnesses were V6 Conversions relays and fuses, new EK ute harness, electroninc gauges and the VT steering column not to mention all the additional bits like the VP wipers, electric demister, brake vacuume pump and the TH 700 wiring harness.

Now I'm going to tuck it away, fit the carpet and get the interior finished and then I think only exhaust to go. :wave: :wave:

Also got weather strip for the one piece glass in the doors, the guys at Rare Parts in Welshpool, Perth came up with a rubber that I think they said was Mazda, the profile is really good and you only have to cut a piece out underneath and it sits down nicley and doesn't apply to much pressure to the windows and effect the electric window motors.

I will get some pictures when I get a chance and post them.
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project