Removing headlight switch

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Removing headlight switch

Post by fraze »

Is there any secret to removing the headlight switch? I removed and refitted it a few months ago with no problem but I need to remove it again because the dash light rheostat is not functioning. I have pressed the button to release the knob and shaft until my fingers are bruised but it stubbornly refuses to release. Am i not holding my mouth right or something? Any suggestions? Thanks, Fraze :dohh:
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Removing headlight switch

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

Pull the knob out to the second stop, then reach in behind and depress the little button. But you know that.

Don't exert any force on the knob when you push the button in, and then the knob and shaft should slide out.
The retainer's a thin strip of spring steel with a slot in it. If it gets bent, for example if some ignoramus (present company except) has tried to remove the knob and shaft using brute force, then it is very difficult to extract the shaft. Which is what I suspect has happened with your headlight switch.
The little button should depress about 1/8".

You may have to remove the instrument cluster and work from the inside of the dash. Possibly you could try using multi-grip pliers on the button, as they don't bruise or feel pain.

Rob