Fb horn not working

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mpeck83
State: NOT ENTERED

Fb horn not working

Post by mpeck83 »

Hi everyone, just after some advice... the horn on my FB is not working, if I put power straight to the horn itself it works and there power at the wire going to the horn. When I disconnect the wire on the steering column there’s no power there. Any advice on what the problem could be??? Thanks in advance.
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Fb horn not working

Post by Errol62 »

The horn is powered direct from fuse block as you have discovered. Can you sound the horn by earthing the brown wire terminal? If not clean terminals on horn and ensure horn works. If so Check the brown wire from the horn to steering column is intact as best you can. Probably will be. This is the path to earth at the horn button.

Pull the horn button and ring and the internals out. see if you can get the horn to sound by contacting between the nut on the steering shaft and the contact spring. If not you may be able to fish out the contact from the wheel hub that rides on brass ring behind wheel. Try and get contact to earth again. No?

Before you pull the steering wheel off best to find the joiner coming out of the column under dash and use a multi meter to test the circuit to the wheel and back to the horn. Brown wire.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mpeck83

Post by mpeck83 »

I can get the horn to work by making contact with steering shaft under the horn button, so why won’t it be working when I press the horn then??? Thanks again for your help.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Couple of things that can go wrong. It’s a matter of making sure all the contacts are clean and touching. Bit of 240 grit emery to make sure all contact surfaces are clean.
1. Tubular contact that rubs on the ring behind wheel
2. Spring that fits inside tube
3. Contact that sits inside spring rubs inside bore of tube and contacts the disc shaped spring that sits around steering shaft and nut.
4. Face of the wheel hub. The disc spring contacts this to close the circuit when you depress the horn ring.
5. Bakelite spacer insulator which transfers movement from the horn ring
6. The three Bakelite insulators with screws which hold on the horn ring
7. The horn ring itself
8. Beautiful pretty horn button. Blue stars for FB. Green stars for EK
9. Magic FE EK horn button smoke, but not really

There are a lot of fiddly little components that tend to go missing when the horn ring gets taken off. This would be the first thing many a budding FB EK enthusiast fiddles with when they get their first car. I guess that is because they are temperamental.

Keep at it and you’ll work it out.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

This may help Image

EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Be careful playing with the spring and contact. Disconnect the battery before pulling it out. If you arc out the spring, it will glow red then let the magic smoke out. Rares no longer sell them, as they have been on backorder for a few years now. Ask me how I know :oops:

If anyone has a horn contact they will part with, please give me a yell.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Harv wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:42 am Be careful playing with the spring and contact. Disconnect the battery before pulling it out. If you arc out the spring, it will glow red then let the magic smoke out. Rares no longer sell them, as they have been on backorder for a few years now. Ask me how I know :oops:

If anyone has a horn contact they will part with, please give me a yell.

Cheers,
Harv
If you don’t find one Harv, you can buy a new second hand one here for pretty cheap 😜😜😜🤥🤥🤥

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1862985364

Or fix what you’ve got. Here’s how I did mine a while back back

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... rn#p232728

Cheers, John
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

mpeck83 wrote:Hi everyone, just after some advice... the horn on my FB is not working, if I put power straight to the horn itself it works and there power at the wire going to the horn. When I disconnect the wire on the steering column there’s no power there. Any advice on what the problem could be??? Thanks in advance.
Hi mate, the reason there’s no power at the steering column is that this wire (tan colour) is the earth/negative wire in the circuit, ie. when you press the horn button you put this wire to ground or car body. The actual horn is live all the time.
All the stuff Clay mentions are possible causes and it can be a matter of elimination until you find the culprit.
Most frequent causes are broken horn contact - check the wire inside the spring of the contact, or the copper plunger isn’t making contact with the contact plate when the horn is pressed.

Good luck,

John

mpeck83

Post by mpeck83 »

Fingers cross it’s fixed....
I cleaned up all the contacts under the steering wheel and could get to work intermittently (which was better then what I had but still not working properly) so I wire brushed and emery papered the terminals on the horn itself and it appears to be working fine for now. Hopefully that’s all it was. Thanks heaps for all your help guys👍🏼
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Honk honk!!!

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good result