Rear Main Seal leak

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Rear Main Seal leak

Post by FJWALLY »

Any advice or recommendations to fix a rear main seal leak - whats the best seal to use?
Mine leaking like a sieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
gpi

Re: Rear Main Seal leak

Post by gpi »

fraze

Post by fraze »

I went thru that problem a few years ago and after trying to use the rope seal supplied in current gasket kits, unsuccessfully, I bought some seal rope from America and that solved my problem. If you go to the FE FC Forum and do a search on rear main seal leaks my posts will come up. I notice you are in Forest Hill? I am not far away from you in Wheelers Hill. I am holidaying in Qld right now but will be home in September, if you want we could get together then and I can go into detail with you. PM me if you like, cheers, Fraze
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks dpi - yes I'm beginning to think the seals used in my rebuild were the newer versions so want to be forewarned for when I go back in to have it done.

Does anyone have a source for the asbestos seals?

Or is there a better quality modern seal that has been developed?
It didn't bother me at first as it was only the odd drip but now I'm doing a bit more driving the drips have turned to drops and now to ever expanding puddles.
gpi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23170
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi Fraze - thanks for that - I'll see if I can find that source.

Would be great to catch up once your back in the land of freeze - I'd stay where you are for a while if you can - lol.

I'm heading O/S for work in a couple weeks so probably will be later Sept
Cheers
Rob
fraze wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 am I went thru that problem a few years ago and after trying to use the rope seal supplied in current gasket kits, unsuccessfully, I bought some seal rope from America and that solved my problem. If you go to the FE FC Forum and do a search on rear main seal leaks my posts will come up. I notice you are in Forest Hill? I am not far away from you in Wheelers Hill. I am holidaying in Qld right now but will be home in September, if you want we could get together then and I can go into detail with you. PM me if you like, cheers, Fraze
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

It'd be a good idea first to confirm that it is, in fact, your rear main bearing oil seal that's leaking.

Oil leaks from the oil filler cap, the rocker cover gasket, the pushrod cover, the distributor O-ring and even the dipstick all drip off the motor from the clutch cover; so it's wise to degrease the motor and even wad rags up between the back of the cylinder head and the firewall when checking for leaks.

If your main bearings are worn, your rear main oil seal will leak. Always.

In my last rings-and-bearings job I finally made the rear main seal seal. (I'm still surprised.) My main bearings had been noisy, so I had the crankshaft ground. I used the newer rope-type seal supplied with the gasket kit, and used Blue-Maxx silicone to cement the seal outer in the groove, along with a thin smear of non-hardening gasket cement on the mating faces of rear main bearing cap and block.

Rob
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks guys - all very good advice - i will hunt around for an experienced mechanic to do it before the blower goes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro