sound / heat proofing

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

sound / heat proofing

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Hi All
What are people useing Clarke rubber has a product but I am not sure how good it is ! how much will I need to do a sedan and cost.
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Harv

Re: sound / heat proofing

Post by Harv »

I went for Dynamat. Its not cheap, but it sticks like dog poo to an army blanket. What worried me with the cheaper brands is the risk of them coming unstuck. No big deal on the floors, but the roof sits in full sun. If the roof comes unglued, you have to remove the hoodlining. To remove the hoodlining, you are likely to have to remove the front screen. I ain’t touching that screen again.

I bought the large size Dynamat sheets (18”x32”). The wagon floor took 11 sheets (I did not do the cargo area). The ute floor took 6 sheets. The wagon roof took 9 sheets. The ute roof took 3 sheets. The cut edges of Dynamat are sharp. I used Dynatape to seal them in (3/4 roll per vehicle). No big drama if they are under the carpet, but it would be just my luck to lift the carpet to work on something and slice myself open.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
State: SA

Post by 138 »

Have a look at the stuff called "Kingspan" or something similar. They use it under corrugated roofs, and it is basically a 1/4" poly-something foam (pink) in between some ally foil. I have used this to sound and heat proof my roadster, works well, and the best part was I raided the offcut bin from a local big warehouse build. I used the foil/string reinforced tape to stick it all in place (also made by Kingspan).
stinky

Post by stinky »

Daleys sell a product alongside Dynamat called Deadna, last I checked it was cheaper than Dynamat and appears to be the same quality, never used it though.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I bought a product called underdog. Recommended by Jason on the humpy forum and quite a bit cheaper. Haven’t used it yet.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Billy boy,

I have used Dynamat lite and as harv says sticks like crazy. I to did this because of the roof and didn't want it falling off.

Bought it on ebay.

Greg
So many cars so little time!