Aircheif: Manual Transistor Radio Speaker

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

srussell
State: VIC

Aircheif: Manual Transistor Radio Speaker

Post by srussell »

Dear all,

I would be grateful if a someone can assist by confirming the correct (ohms) of the speaker to be fitted? The radio is a Manual Transistor (JYQ 20706) and I do not want to take the risk of connecting the wrong speaker. Also, can someone suggest the best place to buy a speaker that will fit in without drilling holes in the dash area?

Regards

Shane
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Aircheif: Manual Transistor Radio Speaker

Post by ardiesse »

Shane,

15 ohms, 6x9 inch is the right size. You can get away with an 8 ohm speaker, but I wouldn't recommend 4 ohms.

Give Dave Smith at Bellarine Classic Autos a buzz - he's close by, and he might have a speaker or two floating around. If he doesn't, then try Simon at HK-T-G Parts Recovery. He got some of the speakers re-coned a few years back.

Rob
srussell

Post by srussell »

Rob,

Great! Thank you for this information.

Regards

Shane
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

The 15 ohm speakers are also available on eBay as a replacement item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I am in need of one now also as the paper has disintegrated with the removal and storage - there are a couple on eBay - some cheap at about 55$ but only have a small circular speaker - assuming these work but very basic? Anyone have experience with the wiz bang ones going for 240$ say they are dual voice but is that just BS for the same thing but dearer - anyone tried the both or either?
Errol62 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:55 am The 15 ohm speakers are also available on eBay as a replacement item.

You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

You’re a step ahead of me Wally. It’s just an AM radio right? Dual voice sounds like a bit of wank. I’m thinking of calling in on the good folks at Jcar to see what they have then make up an adapter plate.

EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Something different.

Original looking but not !

http://my409.com.au/holden-radios-sprin ... les/fb-ek/

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I ha ve the original AWA but also going to run one of those converter thingies that lets you plug phone in as well so wondering if the sound quality is really any better for the extra 200 clams
Errol62 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:39 pm You’re a step ahead of me Wally. It’s just an AM radio right? Dual voice sounds like a bit of wank. I’m thinking of calling in on the good folks at Jcar to see what they have then make up an adapter plate.

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

You young hot rodders, I don’t know.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

I’ve tried a few of these.

The FB has an old HMV radio, with the original single-cone speaker in the dash and a telescopic aerial in the front guard. The internals got old, and I let the magic smoke out one afternoon on the expressway (try pulling over in 90kmh packed traffic whilst desperately trying to throw crap out of a smouldering glovebox 😯). Got the HMV repaired, and it now runs OK. AM only, mono sound and a little crackly. Reminds me of radio when I was a kid. The AM gets a little tedious though it is fun hunting regional stations on a long trip.

The wagon got one of those fancy radios from My409. Phil is good to deal with. The fascias he makes are heavy stainless, mirror polished and fit well. AM/FM, USB and phone connection by cable on the model I bought. Phone input only runs the old 30pin Apple connectors - can’t get a lightning adaptor to work on it. Telescopic aerial in the guard, and Aftermarket 6x9s. Radio works really well - quite happy with it. Stereo sound is loud, but is competing with the racket coming out of the Chev. Nice and crisp when the engine is off.

Bought another one of Phil’s radios for Graces ute. Electronic aerial under the glovebox. Bought One of Phil’s dual-cone 6x9s. Easy bolt up into the EK speaker hole (comes with a good adaptor plate and all bolts). Stereo sound is pretty good, and damn loud in the ute cab.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Harv - It sounds like the dual cone speaker is at least a decent quality - the radio still works so will give that a try first before the new fangled AM/FM thingy - the adapter I have is one of those retro radio things from states - plug phone in and use your playlists etc fo the longer trips when AM is just too mind numbing

One of these that hide in the glovebox - RediRad https://www.vintagecarradio.com/hideaway-radios/redirad

quote=Harv post_id=236652 time=1547754870 user_id=2189]
I’ve tried a few of these.

The FB has an old HMV radio, with the original single-cone speaker in the dash and a telescopic aerial in the front guard. The internals got old, and I let the magic smoke out one afternoon on the expressway (try pulling over in 90kmh packed traffic whilst desperately trying to throw crap out of a smouldering glovebox 😯). Got the HMV repaired, and it now runs OK. AM only, mono sound and a little crackly. Reminds me of radio when I was a kid. The AM gets a little tedious though it is fun hunting regional stations on a long trip.

The wagon got one of those fancy radios from My409. Phil is good to deal with. The fascias he makes are heavy stainless, mirror polished and fit well. AM/FM, USB and phone connection by cable on the model I bought. Phone input only runs the old 30pin Apple connectors - can’t get a lightning adaptor to work on it. Telescopic aerial in the guard, and Aftermarket 6x9s. Radio works really well - quite happy with it. Stereo sound is loud, but is competing with the racket coming out of the Chev. Nice and crisp when the engine is off.

Bought another one of Phil’s radios for Graces ute. Electronic aerial under the glovebox. Bought One of Phil’s dual-cone 6x9s. Easy bolt up into the EK speaker hole (comes with a good adaptor plate and all bolts). Stereo sound is pretty good, and damn loud in the ute cab.

Cheers,
Harv
[/quote]
Harv

Post by Harv »

A long time ago, back when Bluetooth was a type of dental disease, the kids had a similar adapter. It plugged into a cigarette lighter for power, and the other end had a cable to fit 30-pin iPods. It took the info off the iPod, and broadcast it at one of the FM frequencies. You could then tune the cars FM radio to receive it. I deserve a medal for listening to Bob the Builder Mambo Number 5 over and over and over and...

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yeah thats how these work as well Harv but just with the AM band - they come in a whole myriad of configurations now - hopefully I have the right one.
Harv wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 am A long time ago, back when Bluetooth was a type of dental disease, the kids had a similar adapter. It plugged into a cigarette lighter for power, and the other end had a cable to fit 30-pin iPods. It took the info off the iPod, and broadcast it at one of the FM frequencies. You could then tune the cars FM radio to receive it. I deserve a medal for listening to Bob the Builder Mambo Number 5 over and over and over and...

Cheers,
Harv