Repro scratch plates?

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Repro scratch plates?

Post by Harv »

I have been keeping an eye out for a while for a set of scratch plates for Grace's ute - one LF, one RF. I suspect that this will be a loooooong search, other than finding a set of four and on-selling the LR and RR ones. Not sure my conscience would let me break up a set of four. I'm not fussy if the centres of the plates are frosted or not.

Any-hoo, from some threads on the FE/FC forum I understand that someone is making repro scratch plates. From some of the posts, I think there are two different guys making them - Sam Crupi, and someone else. One of the guys is making stainless repros, and one is making chrome-plated brass. Not sure who is doing what, or even if they are still available.

Has anyone bought repro scratch plates in recent years, and if so what was the quality like? I have bought Sam's gear before, and have always been impressed with the quality (and Sam's service for that matter). Though I would check here (and on the FE/FC forum) before disturbing Sam with a random phone call.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Repro scratch plates?

Post by Blacky »

Checked out some of Sams scratch plates at the Nationals , you would be hard pressed to pick them from originals , and he will sell just the front ones as well :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Blacky - I'll give Sam a call.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Called Sam yesterday, and placed an order. $150 for two scratch plates to suit a ute/van

He also does $300 for four scratch plates to suit a sedan/wagon.

Will post results here once I receive them, then stash them away for Grace's Christmas present. :shh:

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Good to know this Harv. The scratch plates do make a car stand out as a bit special. I hope she thinks so too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Patrick_R

Post by Patrick_R »

Looking forward to seeing the results Harv.

Ric.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Grace's birthday came around, and she is pretty stoked with the scratch plates.

As promised, attached below some comparison photos between the repro plates and the original ones on my FB and EK:
EK scratchplates small file size.jpg
EK scratchplates small file size.jpg (581.47 KiB) Viewed 307 times
FB scratchplates small file size.jpg
FB scratchplates small file size.jpg (545.36 KiB) Viewed 306 times
The repro ones are very similar, and fit damn well. The only issue I have with them is that the ridges and grooves in the repros are not as "sharp" as the original ones. If you want 110% originality then the repros are probably not for you. If you something that looks right and is functional, then they are pretty damn fine.

Cheers,
Harv
Attachments
FB scratchplates small file size.jpg
FB scratchplates small file size.jpg (545.36 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Harv. They look pretty good. Price would be comparable to an average genuine set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie