Front driver side brake locking up on startup

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Front driver side brake locking up on startup

Post by Errol62 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Errol62 wrote:I’m wondering if they have this the wrong way aroundImageseems to me that the rear springs need the offset to clear the handbrake transfer rod.

Hi Clay, isn’t that what the picture is showing? The offset is on the right hand side of the rear spring.

Cheers,
John

59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

59wagon wrote:
Errol62 wrote:I’m wondering if they have this the wrong way aroundImageseems to me that the rear springs need the offset to clear the handbrake transfer rod.

Hi Clay, isn’t that what the picture is showing? The offset is on the right hand side of the rear spring.

Cheers,
John

Right way up this timeImage

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That is a slightly different diagram although similar, and makes more sense thanks John.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

We seem to be looking at different editionsImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

I took that shot from the FE- FC manual, and just checked the FB one - they’re both the same.

I incorrectly said earlier the rear was offset on the rhs. I opened my eyes a bit more and noticed it’s offset on both ends Image

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks mate. I’ll amend my ek manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Here is my selection of springsImageThe bottom one on one end only resembles the ones shown as rears in FE FC FB manuals. The next two up achieve the offset by having longer ends. I’ll use these on the ute rear.

EK van on rotisserie
TimR
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by TimR »

Thanks everyone for all the help.
I've been keeping track of it and it sounds pretty right.
Had a few warm days with no sign. After about 15mph it's all good on first application.
Will definitely look into a chamfer and radius grind.
Thanks again
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Tim,

Recently my FX's brakes began to feel even less effective than usual (if such a thing is even possible), combined with a lower pedal than normal - no fluid in the reservoir. Oops. LHR brake drum was damp on the outside. Inside, it was a mess. Gear oil and brake fluid in equal proportions, just about.
New rear axle oil seal (and the pissy thin little replacement seals are bastards to install. I butchered the first one learning how to install it . . . ), relined rear shoes, and new slave cylinder rubbers (stainless-sleeved cylinders though).
I chamfered the leading edge of the primary shoes on the front brakes ate the same time, as well as deglazing the linings and cleaning all the dust out. I made the chamfer about 1/2" wide, almost to the first pair of rivets . . . (What??? I hear everyone say) . . . and half the depth of the lining.
The "morning sickness" has gone. But it normally does go if I deglaze the linings and clean the dust out of the brakes. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks. Gotta get the car pink-slipped and registered though.
But the FC's brakes are squealy and grabby at the moment, so they're next in line for chamfering.

Be thankful for the "advanced technology" of the FB/EK series: separate hubs and drums mean no dicking around with hub puller and torque wrench, and you can leave the front hubs in place. Plus you can see how much fluid's in the master cylinder without leaning full length over the RHF guard, torch in hand. And as for topping the reservoir up . . .

Rob
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Be thankful for the "advanced technology" of the FB/EK series: separate hubs and drums mean no dicking around with hub puller and torque wrench, and you can leave the front hubs in place. Plus you can see how much fluid's in the master cylinder without leaning full length over the RHF guard, torch in hand. And as for topping the reservoir up . . .

Rob
[/quote]

Geeez Rob,
And I never listened to the people who said we were very lucky to own a FB/EK........maybe they were right! All that modern technology....

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!