Derusting parts

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Derusting parts

Post by Blacky »

After seeing Gaz derusting bits with Citric acid I thought I might finish a little project I started a while back - building a sodium carbonate tank. It's pretty easy, a plastic tank , some steel to use as an anode , fill it with water and chuck some sodium carbonate in at the rate of one tablespoon full per 4 litres of water , chuck in the item to be cleaned and connect it to a battery charger then let it bubble away until it's all shite and briny or something Image I needed to clean up some rims so they were the guinea pig for my first go Image

Chuck it in the drink, hook up the battery charger - positive to anode, negative to what you want to clean and kick it in the guts

Left it in for around 8 hours and this is what it looked like - it comes out covered in black crud

Gave it a clean and a hit with a wire brush and voila !

The tank looks a bit second hand but apparently you just skim off the crusty bits and it's good to go again - will try again on Monday and see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
59wagon

Re: Derusting parts

Post by 59wagon »

That looks cheap and nasty effective, Blacky. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

John
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Good work Blacky,
Some good results there, no excuses now hey. A guy in our bike club did similar and I think he said the vapours off the Hubble & Bubble might be flammable so be careful. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Blacky,

You'll be making hydrogen (explosion danger, as the 12-year-old me can attest), so it's best to set up your electrolytic-strip bath in a well-ventilated area. Outside is best.
Had a bit of a think about the electrochemistry -

As they told me in high school chemistry, anode = oxidation, cathode = reduction. So by connecting the battery charger negative to the part to be cleaned, you're reducing iron oxide (rust) back to metallic iron. In theory. Most of the rust will probably end up as black crud in the tank.

The more current, the faster the process. Did you take a look at the battery charger's ammeter to see what current you were drawing? I'd suggest that you just keep adding washing soda until you reach the charger's full current.

Jaycar sells a range of switchmode power supplies, either fixed 13.8 V or 0-16 V variable, with up to 40 A capacity. These would be ideal for this sort of application.

Anyway, you've made me curious. I'll have to see how electrolytic stripping compares with an oxalic acid bath.

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Youre right Rob , it makes hydrogen during the process bu tit wont catch fire , we tried lighting it :lol:

I am using an old type battery charger, the newer electronic ones wont work because they dont sense they are connected to a battery , it was pushing out 3 amps.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

mph

Post by mph »

Nice one mate, they look like nice wide bands for something, what are they going on
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

mph wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:10 pm Nice one mate, they look like nice wide bands for something, what are they going on
going to be a set of Rockets for the ute

mph

Post by mph »

Blacky wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am
mph wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:10 pm Nice one mate, they look like nice wide bands for something, what are they going on

When your ready to sell those white 14" rims on your ute I'll be more than happy to have cash waiting
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

mph wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm
Blacky wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am

When your ready to sell those white 14" rims on your ute I'll be more than happy to have cash waiting
I knew you were going to say that :wink: sorry mate - I cant believe you cant still get them made ?

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

One done ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That’s an amazing result by the comparison photo. I’m about to try the citric on some manifold and brake parts.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

i had it in the tank for 8 hours each side, its pretty quick !

mph

Post by mph »

That stuff works a treat :thumbsup:
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.