Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote:Hey Joe,
No stopping you now, keen to see this motor come back together. How long do they reckon you'll be out of action for?

Regards
Stephen
Only a week or two I hope - it’s just about keeping it clean while the stitches dissolve and healing happens.

Sending all these bits off for diagnosis/machining at this point is therefore perfect, because it will take a week or two for it all to come back... I can’t order rings till I know if the original bore size can be retained too.

Hence the mad rush today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Won’t that rear engined grey powered subi be prone to over steer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good luck with the finger j

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

It looks like Clutch Industries has changed the design of the 220 mm pressure plate compared with the original Holden one: they've relieved a lot of material away on the pressure plate cover above the tension straps. This was where my HR pressure plate rubbed on the inside of the grey bellhousing. So, you'll have no interference troubles.

Rob
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am Won’t that rear engined grey powered subi be prone to over steer?
That beast is my Mitsubishi Mirage! Rides and handles much better with a drumkit (or Grey motor) between the rear strut towers, but sure is a lot slower outta the hole that's for sure! hahaha

With aircon, power steer, half the fuel consumption, half the physical size... and half the ticket price of the Chrysler Centura daily-driver it replaced, it has improved the quality of my inner city life out of sight. I've also been to Melbourne and back three times in it already, and fits more cargo in it than the Chrylser too!! Can't believe how much I love that little thing. No shame at all 8)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am Joe,

It looks like Clutch Industries has changed the design of the 220 mm pressure plate compared with the original Holden one: they've relieved a lot of material away on the pressure plate cover above the tension straps. This was where my HR pressure plate rubbed on the inside of the grey bellhousing. So, you'll have no interference troubles.

Rob
Oh great! my old clutch is buried under a mountain of valve covers and engine parts in the tray of the Ute, I'll dig it out and compare eventually. At first glance, it seems very low profile to me.

If it's a good thing, I'll post pics in the clutch thread when it's all together.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

thebrotherj wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 amIf it's a good thing, I'll post pics in the clutch thread when it's all together.
Watching this one with interest... the spare clutch for the FB is a Clutch Industries one too. Tried fitting a new red motor clutch to the FB about 5 years ago and could not get it to go on for love nor money. Suspect it was fouling, so gave up and put the old clutch back in. The last five years of Sydney traffic (and towing :oops: ) have not been good for the clutch... suspect Number 1 Son's driving training will finish it off.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Earlier, I was bragging about how great my two-bob old universal gear puller has been over the years. I spoke too soon: it has met it’s match!

I have a new timing gear set to go in the Grey, so the old crank gear has to go. The arms of my puller were too short to reach, so I whipped up some longer ones. However, this changed the pivot angle of the claws and they slipped off when tensioned.

So I wrapped the main journal with lots of tape, then (rather clumsily) welded into place a triangle of 10mm square steel behind the gear, loose on the journal and with enough space for the claws, which I reversed.

This worked well! However, all I succeeded in doing when I really leant on my long breaker bar, was bending the triangle... and failed to budge the gear at all.

Admittedly, I should be attempting this with the crank in the motor where it would’ve been easier to manage. But I wasn’t expecting it to put up such a fight and I gave it enough force to destroy the triangle, so it clearly wasn’t meant to be!

Guess I’ll have to get the machine shop to take care of it Image

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Oxy?

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

No, what you generally do is set the crankshaft up on a press with press plates, pump the press up, hear a loud "bang" as the timing gear starts to move, and then you get so involved in the removal process that the crank comes free and drops on the floor.

But you could do way worse than to heat the crankshaft gear up with a torch. You're not going to re-use it.

Rob
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm Oxy?
While I do have a very nice MIG in my tiny workshop, I do not have a basic oxy setup... silly, yes. If I'm still frigging around with this later in the week (I've gotta let my finger heal) I'll hit it with a propane torch at least. Thanks for the pointer :thumbsup:
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I do mine with an LPG torch when pulling and or refitting. I just make sure I don't heat the gear beyond 120 deg c using a infared temp gun. Pulling the gear you need to go hard and fast with the heat before it all transfers to the crank. If no luck wait till it all totally cools overnight and have a go again the next day.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm No, what you generally do is set the crankshaft up on a press with press plates, pump the press up, hear a loud "bang" as the timing gear starts to move, and then you get so involved in the removal process that the crank comes free and drops on the floor.

But you could do way worse than to heat the crankshaft gear up with a torch. You're not going to re-use it.
hahaha yeah, I've never had that exact pleasure but I sure have let the odd hub slip when pressing out front wheel drive bearings from SAABs

Can't imagine steel capped boots would be much help if a crank was involved!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Ok Joe,
Are you doing this motor work one handed? I thought you had been banned from the shed whilst the digit was in recovery mode? :thumbsdown:

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!