EK auto to manual conversion details?

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Matt_Rennie
State: QLD

EK auto to manual conversion details?

Post by Matt_Rennie »

Hi,

Young guy, new to the world of EK's, excuse my lack of knowledge.

I am looking at buying an EK sedan that has a 179 and trimatic fitted (I believe an original auto body car). I would like to convert the car to a manual (column shift would be great but floor shift is ok).

I would like to know if anyone has any experience doing this conversion (Ive read on here a few of you have gone the other way),any recommendations about gearbox selection, and things to watch out for when doing the swap (installing the clutch system etc.)

Located in QLD and would want to do things by the book (engineering, mod plates).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt.
In the Shed
State: SA

Re: EK auto to manual conversion details?

Post by In the Shed »

Welcome Matt,
Whilst I can't help with your query there should be plenty here with the technical and practical experience.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Three speed all synchro box will fit but column linkages may require using a medley of HT and FB EK parts. You can re use the tailshaft as the box/bellhousing is the same length. Same speedo drive. FB EK master and slave cylinders with slave cylinder conversion bracket from crs et all. Aussie 4 Spd same deal with floor shift.

FE to HK three speed crash box will bolt up to FB EK column shift and use manual tailshaft and original slave master and speedo drive.

Personally I prefer the trimatic mated to EK column auto shift. Hydramatic tailshaft and HT HG speedo cable.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

a very clever bloke over here fitted a 5 speed gearbox to his sons EK van and modified a column shift to operate it :shock:
A Holden 3 speed should be asy enough using a HT/G column or maybe a Torana ? A mate of mine just did one using HT/G column but it was also fitted with a rack and pinion front end as the HT/G columns do not have the steering box built onto the end of the column
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Matt_Rennie

Post by Matt_Rennie »

Ok great, thanks for the advice.

If I'm going to do the conversion (and considering it is non-original from the start) I could live with upgrading an m20 or Celia with floor shift for simplicity.

Only other thing that makes me hesitant is the clutch, anyone have any horror stories i should know about?

Cheers,

Matt.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

My FB has a 186 and a 5 speed Celica box - its lots of fun to thrash around and goes like a rocket compared to my Grey/3 speed ute :D It has a hydraulic clutch setup , these come up fairly regularly on Epay or Gumtree as a complete or near complete kit so best keep your eye out and snap one up.

And welcome to the forum , got any pics of your ride ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

mph

Post by mph »

Do the auto floor eks come with a rear crossmember. hows the trimatic held at the moment
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

M20 is easily converted to take the FE EK slave cylinder and bolts up to red motor so no clutch issues. That said they are not as nice a box (imho).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote:M20 is easily converted to take the FE EK slave cylinder and bolts up to red motor so no clutch issues. That said they are not as nice a box (imho).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And the peski floor shifters always seem to jam at some time or another
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Matt_Rennie

Post by Matt_Rennie »

Hi again, so I purchased the car...wasn't an Auto car after all. It has a fabricated oversized transmission tunnel welded in and a dodgy bracket made from angle holding the gearbox in.

Therefore, I'm going to try to cut the tunnel out and fold up a near original one and keep an eye out for an original (or similar 173, 179 etc) driveline. Anyone have experience in un-dodgying a conversion?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

post up some pics when you get under it mate - there has been plenty of these things undodgied on here over the years :D

In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Blacky wrote:post up some pics when you get under it mate - there has been plenty of these things undodgied on here over the years :D
Hey Blacky, had some experience with dodgy brothers?? :shock:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!