gear leaver brush

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

WayneXG95
State: NSW

gear leaver brush

Post by WayneXG95 »

Can anyone direct me to who sells the plastic brush that goes on the end of the gear leaver inside the steering colunm?
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
simmo65
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: gear leaver brush

Post by simmo65 »

WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Thanks but no
It's the small part that fit on the end of the gear leaver
Wayne Chambers
President
Harv

Post by Harv »

Part number 5?

Gear lever anti-rattle bush, part number 7418341. Common from FB-HR.

Not sure you can buy them anywhere, but could probably bodgy one up. Take one out of a running vehicle. Buy an el-cheapo nylon chopping board from Woolworths, and cut a chunk out of it. Whittle down to size.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

That's it Thanks Andrew.
I brought two from a guy at the Wangraratta nats.
I lost his card.
Wayne Chambers
President
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv

Post by Harv »

I think the ones for sale on eBay may be the bushes that go into the control shaft tube (a modification GM made by Service Bulletin H166-G in September 1960, and not shown in the MasterParts drawing). GMH made these by using the plastic bushes that go into the doors and hold the trim cards in place.... just with the ends cut off

The one Wayne wants is for the gear lever itself. Could be the same size - suggest Wayne tries a door card bush to check.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Harv wrote:I think the ones for sale on eBay may be the bushes that go into the control shaft tube (a modification GM made by Service Bulletin H166-G in September 1960, and not shown in the MasterParts drawing). GMH made these by using the plastic bushes that go into the doors and hold the trim cards in place.... just with the ends cut off

The one Wayne wants is for the gear lever itself. Could be the same size - suggest Wayne tries a door card bush to check.

Cheers,
Harv

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Wayne,

I've been tidying up the shed in the last week, getting ready for the EK to come home. Found a lot of stuff I forgot I had bought :oops: , and can't find other stuff I knew I had :oops: :oops: . One thing I did run across is a packet of brand new plugs like those shown in the sepia drawing above. If you want one to put into your gearshift, PM me an address and I'll throw it into the post before Christmas.

Cheers,
Harv :oops:
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

If your throwing them away harv I'd love one also - pulling the steering column this week to have the box done so will be needing one for the re-build. :starr:
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv

Post by Harv »

PM me an address and I'll throw one in the post once I'm home next week.

Cheers,
Harv
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Hi everyone here.

I found this post when looking for information about my EK manual gear shift lever. From reading your discussion you guys will definitely know the answer to my Q.

The gear stick on my steering column is not original. I have the original black knob which has a smaller thread to the existing lever so it wont fit onto the end. So I purchased a genuine EK lever with its spring. Now I need to install it.

Can I just knock out the pivot pin and replace the lever? Or will I have to take off the steering wheel and access the housing underneath and do other stuff to install it?

Cheers for your help. Any advice to make the job easier would be great
Tim (Grafton)
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

As long as the lever is the only non stock part Tim. There should be a spring on the lever inside end. From memory there is an optional anti rattle grommet. Info on here recentlyish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62
State: SA

gear leaver brush

Post by Errol62 »

I wonder why someone would have put a non stock one on. Unless fitting an all syncro box maybe.
You can tap out the pin gently and press back in gently using a bastard grip pliers thing. Bit of grease on the ball prior.
I've never bothered to try and unscrew the knobs. Gear leavers aren't generally hard to come by.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie