WIBROC mirrors

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

WIBROC mirrors

Post by Harv »

Ladies and gents,

There have been a number of queries over the years about accessory mirrors. I've taken the following images from the 1962 Repco Automotive Parts Catalogue. These are not necessarily the NASCO-type mirrors, but give a good idea about what is period correct.

Apologies for the crap scan... the catalogue is thick, and doesn't smoosh flat very well.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
rosco
State: VIC

Re: WIBROC mirrors

Post by rosco »

Thanks Harv,
I had 2558's on mine, as seen in my avatar - until my nephew snapped off one of the white metal arms these employed "playing" with the return spring action.

Mounted in line with the rear of the "bird" - they gave great visibility when towing.
I could lower the arms to horizontal to achieve this and restore them to about 45 degrees for everyday use.

Sadly, the biggest bug-bear with them was people... they simply couldn't walk past them without knocking them - even though they were barely outside the body-line.
The heavy return spring would cause them to snap back when knocked forward and the mirror head would chip the paintwork of the fender.

I now have the "Vantage" drop type mirrors mounted on my door frames - the do not come anywhere near close to giving the far ahead mounted depth that those Wibrocs' did..... I still have them, maybe I'll find a replacement arm one day.

Great listing, thanks.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Good stuff Harv.
My ute has a Wibroc left hand mirror and Nasco drivers mirror.
I did note the weird rear view mirror in the cab and I removed it. Now I see it was an Wibroc 2520. I thought all utes vans and sedans came factory with at least an internal mirror. I know there's never been the normal three screw mounting type fitted in mine (no third hole). Anyone come across this before?
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

My van is fitted with a smaller inside mirror which looks to me like the FC item. Two screws same as Craig's.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Harv
Couldn't help noticing prices are in decimal currency, introduced in 1966. I remember well that an ice cream in a cone went from sixpence to 5c. I was in grade 2. Dad had a blue and white HD Special and mum had a full fendered Anglia with a side valve donk which she sometimes had yo hand crank on cold mornings. After repeatedly warning me not to leave my tricycle behind the Anglia in the drive way she eventually backed over it. I got a new Cyclops chain driven job. We must have been effluent! The things you remember.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote:Harv
Couldn't help noticing prices are in decimal currency, introduced in 1966. I remember well that an ice cream in a cone went from sixpence to 5c. I was in grade 2. Dad had a blue and white HD Special and mum had a full fendered Anglia with a side valve donk which she sometimes had yo hand crank on cold mornings. After repeatedly warning me not to leave my tricycle behind the Anglia in the drive way she eventually backed over it. I got a new Cyclops chain driven job. We must have been effluent! The things you remember.
Cheers
Clay

I think you might mean " affluent " Clay !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Oh yeah that too

EK van on rotisserie