Chinka portable 'pot' blasters

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

vmx-mxr
State: NSW

Chinka portable 'pot' blasters

Post by vmx-mxr »

I would like to know if anyone has had success with the (obviously Chinka made) 'pot blasters' you find on evilbay and elsewhere eg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Gallon-Sa ... SwFMZWqu7X

I'm thinking of getting one for garnet and have no worries with air supply, just unsure about the integrity of the handpiece shut off (cant get my head around how it works given it have abrasive passing through it. My two big cabinets rely on AIR coming through them from a pneumatic servo to open the air supply so no abrasive flows through them.

Was going to make one from a rooted compressor receiver but would rather just get a goer and spend my time getting on with the ute.

Dave Mac
EK283

Re: Chinka portable 'pot' blasters

Post by EK283 »

Dave,

I have one of these and it works a treat once sorted.

The nozzle itself wears extremely quick so I bought a tungsten one off ebay and that solved that issue.

The shut off valve wore out almost as quick so replaced that then I worked out that you need to have this fully opened with the valve at the bottom of the tank partially closed to stem the flow.

I have done heaps with it and it is a handy tool to have to save the laborious task of machine or hand sanding.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
vmx-mxr

Re: Chinka portable 'pot' blasters

Post by vmx-mxr »

Thanks Greg
I figured someone must have tried one and what you said pretty much sums up my concerns
The idea I had to overcome any problems is to keep the blast side open (pretty much get rid of the crappy chinks gun) and regulate the incoming pressure with a trigger or button control. A couple of lengths of abrasion resistant hose and a decent tungsten nozzle will do the rest plus be more flexible for tight spots.
After that a KKK pillowcase with the holes cut in them, some overalls, gloves and goggles (and worksafe approved thongs) and I'm good to go !
Where did you get the replacement parts from.
I'm with you - I reckon having one of them would be very useful, with the advantage they reduce your work time.
Cheers
Dave