Potential club run idea?

Club Runs, meetings and other news for fans of FBs & EKs in Victoria.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky, VIC Mod

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Potential club run idea?

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I noted in the last meeting notes that the club struggles a bit with ideas for runs (Bills comments).
Not sure if anyone would be interested in coming out this far but maybe this place could be a possible destination. I'm happy to do some leg work prior as its in my area.
I've been there and they have some really good turn outs. They look to support/promote visiting clubs such as ours.
http://www.gippslandvehiclecollection.org.au/

Sarah if you want me to chase up some info PM me.

Cheers.
Craig Allardyce

Re: Potential club run idea?

No takers I gather?? :?:
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Craig,
just got this. Looks to me as if they have some unique vehicles on display.
I'm guessing that Maffra would be an easy and comfortable 3 hour drive down the Princes, all of it great freeway road almost to Sale but not sure about the B road out to Maffra - only a short hop out of the madding traffic at worst.

Sale has a lot on offer and if the weather is right, the river can bestow very pleasant ambience and for those interested in history - the Port and swinging bridge plus the adversary competition with Cunninghame (Lakes Entrance) when Sale purported itself as the Gippsland port connection with Melbourne once the entrance was opened for vessel navigation. I believe you can appreciate the local opposition to the extension of the Victorian Railways to Sale, which vetoed all this... as mentioned, there's a lot of history to be taken in at nearby Sale - perhaps, the Maffra museum could be the pivotal gathering venue for an extended tour of the local area.... my thoughts.

Bumper has put together a Murray River run for October - I'm hoping this will be a great success, only concern is the Country'n'Western convention up there at around that time - or perhaps that's in September..maybe potential attendees are in debate with choice at present and this is perhaps reason for most not to flag or respond.

No long weekends coming up on the calendar - so Maffra might be one idea for a full day outing for those from the big smoke (no, not Morwell).

As with many runs/events - usually there is a self-generated hype lead up, social media generated.
Sarah would certainly now be aware of your suggestion and perhaps is awaiting response from the committee... I fully expect some formal acknowledgment and appreciation will shortly follow.

I'm a bit disappointed that your kind offer of suggestion has not received response.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Rosco, not sure of why there hasn't been much response. I'm guessing distance from Melbourne is an issue and people don't have the time to go that far for a normal weekend.
I was also thinking of Heyfield as well. Glenmaggie is just up the road and I have a friend who works with me that owns the Lakeside Antique Machinery Museum. The collection includes steam engines, combustion engines, chainsaws, dragsaws, tractors and other farm machinery engines, all in working condition. I'm sure I could organise a club member day or put together a combined show of our cars and his gear. That and local boating on the lake, touring the sights, Maffra Vehicle Collection, and what ever else, it would be a great weekend or more.

On the other side I'm not sure if this forum is frequented much by the committee. I've also checked the website and it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2014. I thought putting it out there on this forum would be the best way to gauge interest.................maybe not, or maybe there's little to no interest. :(
rosco

Post by rosco »

Craig, I can assure you that I'd be very keen for a weekender with all that going - but, I believe you can appreciate - many are beginning to bear the noose with Christmas just around the next couple of seemingly free months.

Being retired, and will "all" this free time we must have (read = don't) - it makes it a lot easier for us to slip such a weekend into our lifestyle.
I can fully appreciate others with young families do not enjoy this apparent gay abandon of responsibility..

Rather than pencil anything in at present - I would suggest perhaps aiming at a weekend in the impending warmer months - even looking as far ahead in the lead-up or during Easter.

It is a very fine offer you placed on the table, Craig - not many can appreciate the groundwork which goes into such a projection, which you show you have already donated... thank you, for one - I do very much appreciate your efforts.

Let's just see if there are more forum members who might like to chime in on this - I am ever hopeful.

Yes, we no longer see a lot of Vic club members - but I fully appreciate that another aspect of social media might be getting quite a bit of a thought bubble on your suggestion - I'm not on any other social media than forums as we have known them for many years... so, I can't verify what my suspicions might suggest..

Again, Craig - thank you for your work - let's hope all these great options come to fruition..
Undoubtedly, I believe Belinda would be working with you behind the scenes - so, please pass on my gratitude for her contributions.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Rosco, all good. Realistically I only posted the idea a month ago or so and as you rightly state other forms of media might be the way, or in the way. Stupid me should have probably just called someone from the club.... :oops:
Anyway everyone's busy these days. Time will tell.

Thanks for your kind words.