Removing Windows from Panel Van

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

surfcityslicker
State: NSW

Removing Windows from Panel Van

Post by surfcityslicker »

Hi
Now I have decided to keep my Van long term - I am going to slowly customise it. Now it has a lovely new engine that works I was thinking of removing the 4 Side Windows so that it becomes a "Windowless" Panel Van.

That way i can get some solid songwriting down the side (I am a graphic designer by trade).

Has anyone done that - or is it sacrilege to do so? Does it look just like a Windowless when done or is the body shape slightly different? i was just going to get the local metal guy I know to do it - thought it would be pretty simple.

Thanks to anyone interested!

Mick Jagger
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Removing Windows from Panel Van

Post by Mick Jagger »

if it was me id smash all the windows
clean the edges to bare steel at least 20mm around and on the edge
make a template out of cardboard cut it out, trace it onto some straight plate(even thickness)
clean all the edges and weld every inch or so with a magnet behind just a zap to connect it
no heat ! once cool go back in the middle of your last welds ,that's what Id do
the better the fit the less grinding
half an hour to stuff around to get the replacement bit of steel to fit right will save many hours
no heat ,and a wet rag
kmawic
Mick

Post by Mick »

i've filled 1 window on each side any GOOD welder or panel beater should be able to tackle it
couple of things to consider if ever selling they are never really looked at as windowless vans by some if they've been filled, and windowless are considerably more difficult to drive especially in traffic with little to no vision down the left side
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
surfcityslicker

Thanks for the feedback. Ill put some cardboard in the windows and drive around a bit - see if it feels restrictive or not!
oli

Post by oli »

Just a thought, being a graphic designer you must have contacts in the sign writting world?

Why not get some advertising made up for the sides and where the windows are get em to make it out of that vinyl that looks solid from outside but has tiny holes so you can see out from inside? Like what they use on bus windows :ewink:
bootlegger
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by bootlegger »

I'm cutting up a windowless van. I can sell you the whole sides and you can unpick it all and fit it so it goes back to factory specs.
I've done a couple that way and although a ton of work it works out great.
Welding up those windows is distortion central. All the welded up vans I can pick from a mile away.
I'm not saying it can't be done but man its easy to make a mess of it.
I want $500 for the sides.
0413766501 Dave.
surfcityslicker

yep - I think I'm going to go the Vinyl route. My print supplier (Lynos at Artarmon) does the see though car vinyl - why didn't I think of that!
I'll post pics when I get it stuck on.