HORN CONTACT

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BIGREVNEV
State: NOT ENTERED

HORN CONTACT

Post by BIGREVNEV »

Hi does any one know what to use for the insulator that inserts in to steering wheel that houses the horn contact ?????, its a black insert with a collar i,m figuiring that they must be rare seeing as there is one s/h on ebay for 99 bucks :shock: cheers n beers NEV
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Re: HORN CONTACT

Post by WayneXG95 »

Have you checked rares website?
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
BIGREVNEV

Post by BIGREVNEV »

Rares dont list it , only the contact
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Best bet would be to find someone on the forum with a shagged wheel, and buy the inserts off them.

Having said that, I've used PVC tube in desperation before :oops: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BIGREVNEV

Post by BIGREVNEV »

I,ll fabricate something if nothing turns up
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Nev, I've just had mine to bits to do up the contact - those three insulators you're looking for come in a number of different sizes.
The different sizes are designated by colour.
Mine are all green.

The sizes/colours are:-

Red - 0.299" - 0.303"
Blue/Black Mottle - 0.305" - 0.309"
Brown - 0.311" - 0.315"
Green - 0.323" - 0.327" (at least I can say I've got "something" 327 in my old bus).

Now, the gobbeldy-gook in the instructions reads - "the spacer lengths are all the same"... but the distance from the small end to the top of the tapered end varies....
So, I'm guessing - with the shorter ones shown above - there is a thicker flat section at the circumference around the top (edge) - the longer ones would have a thinner edge instead.. hope that makes sense - it's the way I read it.

What the instructions state to do is to test the horn for operation from all points of the horn ring - if it doesn't work in one third - change the size/colour of the insulator to a thicker one at the opposite side.

As Harv states - PVC tubing could be used to fill the holes and insulate the screw - and possibly use a large rivet head for strength and spacing depth...

Just my thoughts.

frats,
Rosco