Workshop manuals

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

holdenutechick
State: NSW

Re: Workshop manuals

Post by holdenutechick »

my boyfriend Daniel (dazzajay) could help with watermarking but he's waiting for his username and password for the forum to be approved.

Daniel might also be able to encrypt it so it needs a password or something to open it, it's an idea to think about woodsy
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
woodsy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by woodsy »

cant really set a password up for it as all it takes is 1 person to let the password out and its useless. Definitely want it marked in some way so people know it was from the fbekholden.com website and that its FREE, so if anyone tries to sell it on ebay it makes it abit harder for them.

Sorry i have taken so long guys, i've got a small business and have been flat out with it lately but things seem to be getting quieter now.
DazzaJay

Post by DazzaJay »

depends on what your watermarking. if your scanning the pages in, then generally they are images once scanned. and images are very very easy to watermark.

I can do it for you for nothing.

attached is a quick demo of a watermark on a screenshot of me in Gran-Turismo.
The watermark dosent have to look like this, can be adjusted in many ways, dont like the cross? don't have it. everything is colourisable, positionable, and such. even added in the EK from the header in the bottom left corner for example.

and a second preview showing feinter lines, and a transparent logo. (Image found on net)

:::EDIT:::
Attached a test using a Nasco paper (image found on net) and putting a black watermark over the top, in a way to keep it still easy to read, but still be there and hard to remove.
Attachments
nascotest.jpg
nascotest.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
CRUZ_62

Post by CRUZ_62 »

Any progress with this guys?
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Yeah, would love a copy if possible....

Im a photoshop junkie and it wouldnt take much ...just a simple batch process action ...give me a holler if i could help or message me a link if already done :thumbsup:
:peaceout:
Harv

Post by Harv »

Well, you can't say I didn't try.

There are quite a few guys out there who have been given permission over the years to scan GMH material. Some are hapy to share :D , and others are looking to make a cheap buck on eBay by flogging copies :roll: . I have a pretty extensive set of genuine Workshop manuals (all FX-HQ, a fair smattering of Torana and quite a few modern ones that came cheap at the time). I have access to a high-reslution scanner, and time up my sleeve when I'm on the road for work.

I figured I'd apply to GMH for permission to scan some manuals, and post them here on the forum. My mental model was to scan probably a dozen manuals all up - just the older stuff (would have settled even for FB/EK only). To GMH's credit, they followed up really well on my request. The rights to all GMH's workshop manuals has been licensed to a third-party company. GMH discussed the scanning with that company over a matter of months, keeping me in the loop the whole way. Sadly, the third-party company has declined my request, as there is too much commercial demand for the material.

I'll still continue to use the manuals as part of the Guides, as this is well within copyright law usage. Sadly, no bulk scans of the other manuals from me :( .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
samprinci

Post by samprinci »

good effort Andrew...
Join the fun! Join the club! - FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW
www.fbekholdennsw.com
Nibble&Sick

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Were did this workshop manual thing end up. Trying to find a EK manual but they seem to be scarce and expensive. I just need all the tune up tappet and timing specs for a Hydro EK at the moment. I am just overhauling the dissy so would love the timing graph as it seems the autos are timed different to a manual.

If I have to go with a aftermarket manual which one is the best? :econfused:
Harv

Post by Harv »

The workshop manual issue ended up in a stalemate. GMH have sold the intellectual property for the manuals to a third party. That third party is not willing to allow the manuals to be scanned and downloaded to the forums, despite GMH asking on my behalf.

I would not reccomend any of the aftermarket manuals - they are very, very generic.

Best way is to either buy an original, or to request bits and pieces of info from the forum as you need them.

(I'd scan you the dizzy info but I don't have the manual with me - on the road for work).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Nibble&Sick

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Cheers Hav

Will continue the search. I am still waiting on the steel timing gear I ordered from American Auto so still have a bit of time even if we are running out of time. In the mean time if I could get a scan of the dissy/Timing and tune up bits I would be very grateful.

Cheers
Nick
Nibble&Sick

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Oops, after rereading the thread I have realised that scanning the manual would be an issue now that the forum no longer has permission to use the material. So I retract the request.