Tune up day 31st may

Club Runs, meetings and other news for fans of FBs & EKs in Qld.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky, QLD Mod

rosco
State: VIC

Re: Tune up day 31st may

Post by rosco »

Don't forget to check your spare and pressure.
Many of us have found that carrying a small yellow bottle of "Rainex" has proved invaluable.... blasted wipers do nothing over 100 km/h....
For those not running a fuel filter between the pump and carby - unscrew the pump bowl and give it a good clean-out...
Spare fuses are something often not carried until needed..
The bottom radiator hose is a definite spare - the top one might as well be carried in the same box.
Tools basically are up to those who need to carry them.... check your jack works!
A timing light is invaluable for any trip with a vehicle using points...
Add to that, a small piece of fine emery, a clean cloth and some Isopropyl Alcohol (no, Mini - not for drinking!) that stuff makes a breeze out of cleaning points.

You can load your bus up with enough to stop it if you get carried away.... but a litre of oil, some water, brake fluid, fan belt and radiator hoses will mostly cover what is likely to go wrong... timing gear excepted.
A few 1m lengths of insulated wire and a sharp knife will get you out of most electrical issues..
And don't forget a good torch/handlamp/lantern... and keep your phone charged!

The safest way to travel is with others...

If anyone gets stuck at Cowra - give me a yell... you'd be surprised at what I carry on a road trip...

In convoy - find out who uses the most fuel/distance and judge your needs on them...

See y'all in just over a week...

frats,
Rosco
Brian Westlake
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Brian Westlake »

Hey Jeff. On Saturday I'm going to take out my 40mm lowering blocks cause all the stuff I'm bringing to Cowra will put the arse of my bomb on the deck as its a bit low now with nothing in it. I also want to fix my horn and maybe pump in a little grease etc. Thanks again for making this place available.
Tony PartsBox
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Hey Rosco, I will get some Rainex. I just swapped my slow electric wiper motor for another one just as slow "angryy: so I'll bring the old one too. See you there.
Tony SlowSweep
rosco

Post by rosco »

Yes, Tony - looking forward to it....

Your wiper - one of my model flying club colleagues (retired engineer) reconditions old vehicle wiper motors - I can get his contact details if you need them.
I think his son does the marketing - but this chap does the reconditioning from his back-yard workshop....

I've got another of these colleagues who makes up replacement parts for old Holdens, Foxxrds and Valiants in his factory - sets up the dies, cutters and jigs etc then bangs out a run of them.........glove boxes, kick panels, rubber flaps etc for a small company..... don't know who the retail outlet is, but he's now put me on his list for freebies when he does a run.... just good luck, eh?

I don't think he'll invite any orders - there's something about breach of contract... but he can make up some freebies... never know, they might be up for grabs at an auction... proceeds to clubs - I don't believe there's any conflict in that..... but I'm no legal wiz...

Forgot to mention in my above post - jack up each front wheel and check your wheel bearings for play, folk - pop off the bearing end cap and take a peek inside at the grease....
I was taught to adjust wheel bearings using a 10" shifter - take out the split pin, back off the nut - turn it in again by hand and then place a 10" shifter on the nut - with the handle at 2 O'clock... the weight of the shifter is all that is needed to adjust the nut.... then back it of to the first hole for the split pin to fit .... to not tighten!
When adjusted - grab both sides of the tyre and "wiggle" it side to side - you should "just" feel the very slightest bit of free play.... then repeat it top and bottom.... certainly not to the point where you can feel any slack though.... but more importantly - no bind ... AT ALL!

frats,
Rosco
rosco

Post by rosco »

Yes, Tim - one of the golden rules - if it ain't broke - don't fix it....but....
it's also good to take a peek at all you know might need looking at.... and observe the above...

We'll be in Cowra (or bust) on Thursday after lunch....

frats,
Rosco
jmaddalena

Post by jmaddalena »

go vacuum tony. I always have some rain x in the boot
secretary Qld fb ek holden car club inc.
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

Nice to meet you all today and cheers for the hoist it was good to have a look under the belly of the wagon.
Look forward to meeting up next weekend .
Cheers
Paul.
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Thanks Jeff for your help and thank Chris and murray as well for me. Tim, my horn still works so far and my car seems fine. Ron James was a big help holding the torch and giving moral support also. Interesting cross section of cars in that workshop as well as the holdens. Paul and Cherie, it was nice to meet you guys also and check out your neat auto wagon.
Tony GetsOthersToSetHisPoints.
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Hey Tony Rebuilder
What a hot EK you have cooked up. I'd like to go for a run in it at half throttle ( that would be enough I think!) one day mate. A good effort.
Tony TakesOffQuick