No chassis number on inner guard??

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Tyson
State: WA

No chassis number on inner guard??

Post by Tyson »

G'day guys, I've just looked at my first EK this arvo which was a great but something concerned me... There was no chassis number stamped on the inner guard where I thought they were. the ID plate riveted to the firewall was intact, but nothing on the sub-frame itself. The seller told me that when he put it over the pits to relicensed it he had to buy an id tag that was then welded to the subframe down near the mounting bolts for the front end. The car is licensed and all but just wasn't sure if this seams normal??

Any ideas or input on this??

Cheers,
Tyson
"You win some, you learn some"
rosco
State: VIC

Re: No chassis number on inner guard??

Post by rosco »

Hi Tyson,
I don't have concerns with the missing numbers on the sub-frame skirt - it could be that the original was replaced and for some reason whoever did the fitting did not stamp the replacement.
i expect you took a very close look at where it was supposed to be just in case it had been filled and painted over. On the underside, beneath all the stone-protection coating - there would have been a bulge on the flat panel, if there was a number stamped in there. This number is stamped on the inside right skirt near the top of the lower vertical section - about half way along the skirt. The NSW ones (not sure about Qld) are stamped inverted. Vic ones are upright.

One thing I would fully suggest you consider before going through with a purchase - is to contact the stolen cars register... don't know what it's called in your state, but they will run a quick check.
I would quote the id number on the firewall and also the engine number.
We have had people make purchases only to find that information triggers a stolen vehicle flag on the database - and you're in for all sorts of issues with police and insurance companies.....

Hopefully, the vendor will have the most recent registration paperwork - if not, pause any sale and contact the authorities before going further.

You can usually pick someone who is shonky - they get very "iffy" when they realise your intentions. If they are above board, it's a quite relaxed and "do what you want" response....

As far as I know - only the id plate on the firewall, the subfame skirt stamp and engine number are all of the ones available - I don't believe anyone concerns themselves with trans numbers etc. etc.... well, maybe some of us have photographed and recorded them... along with personal markings and pix...

Others with chime in and give you more that I can't think of at present....

frats,
Rosco
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Cheers Rosco, I was gonna do a revs check but they are only open office hours which is pretty handy! And I couldn't work out how to do it online.

On the plus side, my mrs works at the local shire (who takes care of all the licensing matters) and she believes that because the car is registered and has been over the pits recently and the license papers all look legit, that it should be no worries.

So fingers crossed...
rosco

Post by rosco »

All good, Tyson - hope it works out for you....

Please keep us posted, and don't be afraid to ask about anything you are unsure of.

frats,
Rosco
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Cheers Rosco, appreciate it! :thumbsup:
igor
State: SA

Post by igor »

Hi Tyson, congratulations on your new purchase :thumbsup: We are restoring a wagon at the moment and have just stripped the engine bay to find that our inner guard has no number on it either. We presume that it was replaced at some stage, but as it has been registered for many years and change of ownership etc, (ID tags are like yours still on the car) it does not worry us that there is no number.
Enjoy your car well done
Roger and Lesley
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ah, Roger and Lesley - you've now created a new whetting of my appetite..... I'll check just how many vehicles have the sub-frame number in situ at the Cowra nats... bet I'm going to find lots that don't....

frats,
Rosco