Chrome work

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Stevo
State: NOT ENTERED

Chrome work

Post by Stevo »

Can anyone suggest a good place to have chrome work done,I live in Brisbane and have been told that some places are very good and some not so good. Also roughly what does it cost ie bumpers,tail lights,dor handles.
bootlegger

Re: Chrome work

Post by bootlegger »

I send all my stuff to a mate in adelaide. He isnt cheap but the work is perfect. Paul Siddal kleimzig plating.
WOWU

Post by WOWU »

Westwood and Winter Electroplaters at Silverwater NSW are fantastic, they have done a lot for me over the years.
Regards

James
WOWU
Penrith NSW
iso007

Post by iso007 »

I have used blue chrome at revesby, nsw for 30 years and I am happy with the job they do. But as i am not a shop-around kind of guy, i don't know how they rate on price or quality with the other places, but an example of the price is, they charged me $550.00 for the rear bumper of the ek about 3 months ago.
Regards
Ian
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

Were ever you go the average for bumper parts should be no more than $180 a section.
The 12 centre peices for a FB grille $25 each.
Bonnet bar if in good nick around $140
Hubcaps, if they don't need work, look at $80 each
The rest around $40 to $100.
Tail lights $250 each side.
Cheers
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
WOWU

Post by WOWU »

The thing that pushes up the cost on electroplating is the metal polishing, if you can do it yourself you can save on the leadtime and costing.

But be prepared to come out looking like a chimney sweep or world war 2 fighter plane ace once you remove your goggles :lol:

I did a whole rear end on a midnight blue EK Holden I built from the ground up around 1983.
Regards

James
WOWU
Penrith NSW
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

WOWU wrote:The thing that pushes up the cost on electroplating is the metal polishing, if you can do it yourself you can save on the leadtime and costing.

But be prepared to come out looking like a chimney sweep or world war 2 fighter plane ace once you remove your goggles :lol:

I did a whole rear end on a midnight blue EK Holden I built from the ground up around 1983.
If you don't mind the KKK look get hold of an old pillowslip, mark out and cut two eye holes (one if you only have one eye), slip it over you noggin and hold on with goggles. Finish the ensemble with a pair of overalls or dust coat and a pair of close fitting riggers gloves and you are good to go. When it's time to head up for the members draw, doff the lot, run a comb through your hair hair and you're good to go !

I've used the above kit for years (although haven't done much plating prep for a good while so no current plating recommendations to speak of as most of mine is alloy stuff) and you don't get anywhere near the crap on you that you do when un-covered and you will need the gloves as parts can get pretty hot plus a touch up with a 10" buffing wheel will make you yelp !

If you are planning on doing a lot of large items you WILL need a heavy duty set up ie 3 phase etc. Little bits you can do on an off hand grinder fitted for buffing, and either way you save coin and get to know it's mostly your work, although you should generally get the platers to strip the items and most will not be held responsible for the finish you get if it's a bit crook off the buff.

Dave Mac
Harv

Post by Harv »

a touch up with a 10" buffing wheel will make you yelp
I gotta lotta respect for the guys that straighten and polish trim day-in, day out. Guaranteed I either buff my finger prints off, forget that buffed parts are hotter than the sun, or have the buff throw them across the garage at the speed of light. My son takes great delight in watching me pick up something hot, then casually ask the question his grandfather taught him:
"Little heavy, Dad?" :lol: :evil:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
WOWU

Post by WOWU »

That's funny Dave :lol: all you need now is the Dath Vader voice and a light sabre your all set as an extra for the next Star Wars movie :lol:

But seriously if any of the guy's on this forum are looking at doing their own polishing cover your hair especially if it is long, I have heard of people having their hair torn out when that item they are polishing grabs on the buff and goes to ground and the poor bugger bends over with the buff still going.
Regards

James
WOWU
Penrith NSW
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv wrote:
a touch up with a 10" buffing wheel will make you yelp
I gotta lotta respect for the guys that straighten and polish trim day-in, day out. Guaranteed I either buff my finger prints off, forget that buffed parts are hotter than the sun, or have the buff throw them across the garage at the speed of light. My son takes great delight in watching me pick up something hot, then casually ask the question his grandfather taught him:
"Little heavy, Dad?" :lol: :evil:

Cheers,
Harv
I'll second that. I'll have to add the joy of trying to find those little hard to get parts that seem to disappear quite well when flung. I bet its a funny sight when the better half walks in and yet again I'm on my hands and knees with my face on the ground. Must be some sort of FB/EK prayer ritual. :wtf:
WOWU

Post by WOWU »

Be careful Craig, The better half might think your proposing all over again :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been married for 26 years and someone that my wife works with's husband did the Romance thing :loveee: and remarried his wife in Las Vegas with Elvis. :crazy:

Now I'm being asked for an eternity ring at around $3500.00 :gasp: my first car was an EH Holden Wagon with front end damage, that was a better deal at $50.00 :money_money: but that was 35 years ago :thumbsup:
Regards

James
WOWU
Penrith NSW