Electric heater

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

parisian62
State: NSW

Electric heater

Post by parisian62 »

Has anyone posted up info about an aftermarket electric heater? I thought I could recall a post but can't find it...

Can anyone recommend a small electric heater that would hide under the dash?

Many thanks
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Electric heater

Post by Devilrod »

There was a post on Oz Rodders many moons ago on this topic. But from what I recall they're not that good. Better of with a smiths/nasco style one. Unless there are some new ones on the market that actually work better now.

Aussie Desert cooler have remade a beehive style one not sure on price though.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
MeFB
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by MeFB »

Wouldn't think they'd be much good either, but there's quite a choice out there. Your car's electrical system will need a fair bit of wallop to drive anything that will put out more than a puff of warm air.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

You'd be much better off plumbing-in a heater that ran off the cooling system and only used electrical power for the fan, like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-HE ... 473wt_1163

Sorry for the eBay links, but you can count on them to have a few examples of what's available.

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

Devilrod wrote:There was a post on Oz Rodders many moons ago on this topic. But from what I recall they're not that good. Better of with a smiths/nasco style one. Unless there are some new ones on the market that actually work better now.

Aussie Desert cooler have remade a beehive style one not sure on price though.
The rodders buy them as a quick unobtrusive way to comply with engineering requirements (I know cause I did the same) as soon as its registered you simply unplug them. Just about useless but they are classed as a demister so the engineer can tick that box :thumbsup:

Mick 8)
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Thanks for that info and advice guys. After posting up the thread I did some googling and further reading and realised they're not much chop.

Looks like we will be packing extra ugg boots, tracky dackies and jumpers... :ebiggrin: or is there a heat wave forecast for Wangaratta in June...?

Thanks Tim. :thumbsup: I've got a poor man's heater here...am trying to keep the engine bay clear of the rubber hoses.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
artyfartymarty
State: WA

Post by artyfartymarty »

not a fan of a 200watt hair drier running off the battery to give me 2-3 degrees of additional warmth. Also done some e-research and i've read they're pretty crap...

would love to know if anyone has had a crack at installing one of these in FB/EK.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-HE ... 473wt_1163

I would really like one but worried about forking out $250 on something that wont fit under the dash or wil clash with wipers etc etc and i know i will need to relocate my radio...again. I dont wanna be the guinea pig but happy to follow in the footsteps of someone who has tried and succeeded.
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I used the exact same one worked out real well happy as a pig in shit do a search on Heater / Demister sorry I don't know how to put up a link to it, can someone else do it Please If I can be of any help on how I did this just let me know ,I also bought a tap to turn water on it is connected to the controls on the dash ie heater /air & I fitted a mirco switch to turn the blower on it was a little bit fiddly but worked out really well.
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

parisian62 wrote:Thanks for that info and advice guys. After posting up the thread I did some googling and further reading and realised they're not much chop.

Looks like we will be packing extra ugg boots, tracky dackies and jumpers... :ebiggrin: or is there a heat wave forecast for Wangaratta in June...?

Thanks Tim. :thumbsup: I've got a poor man's heater here...am trying to keep the engine bay clear of the rubber hoses.
Stewart I know what you mean I didn't want heater hoses draped over my motor either :( :(

But as a heater is almost compulsory here in winter I didn't have much choice (I hate driving with so many jumpers/jackets on that I look like the Michelin Man :lol: ) so when I put one in I routed the one from the waterpump around the top radiator hose, made up a couple of retaining brackets in aluminium, the other hose from the front of the head then follows and is held by the same brackets.
From there they follow the subframe rails back to the firewall then through the firewall to my Smiths / Suzuki heater mounted under the gloveox (Smiths bullet heater that leaked so I used a core from a Suzuki Stockman heater / perfect fit :wink: ) Note that I haven't bothered with the demister vents as it doesn't need it, there's not a lot of area to keep warm/hot in a chopped ute compared to a Station wagon.

Mick 8)
Attachments
H1.jpg
H1.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 855 times
H2.jpg
H2.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 855 times
H3.jpg
H3.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 855 times
H4.jpg
H4.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 855 times
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Many thanks Mick and for posting up those pics too. :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.