Silly question

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKjimmy
State: NOT ENTERED

Silly question

Post by EKjimmy »

Probably a silly question, but I can't find the answer i'm after on the net.
I'm putting a trimatic behind a 149 for my girlfriends EJ, and I'm a bit fuzzy on something.
I've bought the trimatic (recent reco too) with torque converter.
Do i need to remove the flywheel and install a 'flex plate' or does a flex plate bolt onto the flywheel?
After that is sorted i'm sweet from there, just gotta get a tailshaft made although apparently a HR one will fit straight in (not sure if it's an auto or manual HR one though - I can only presume it'd be an auto one?)
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
fingers
State: VIC

Re: Silly question

Post by fingers »

EKjimmy wrote:Probably a silly question, but I can't find the answer i'm after on the net.
I'm putting a trimatic behind a 149 for my girlfriends EJ, and I'm a bit fuzzy on something.
I've bought the trimatic (recent reco too) with torque converter.
Do i need to remove the flywheel and install a 'flex plate' or does a flex plate bolt onto the flywheel?
After that is sorted i'm sweet from there, just gotta get a tailshaft made although apparently a HR one will fit straight in (not sure if it's an auto or manual HR one though - I can only presume it'd be an auto one?)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Flywheel must be removed mate and then install the flex plate to the motor, not so sure about which tailshafts fit but once you have got the trimatic fitted you can measure it up and then look around ....a call to Roger Hancock form Holdenman parts would be educational as well ...Roger will be able to answer any questions and supply any parts , he can tell you if you need new engine mounts ,etc , as well ......Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Cool, thanks for that.
Yeah calling Roger would be a good idea come to think of it. Why didn't i think of that lol.
It's going onto an EH front end for simplicity's sake (and to avoid engineering hassles) so new mounts will go in and I'll have to make up a rear crossmember but that should be okay.

Cheers,
Jimmy
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Don't forget to remove the spigot bush in the end of the crank when changing to an auto. Easy to remove, find a drift (or any piece of steel the right diameter) which fills the hole, then pack it full of grease (the spigot bush) then hit the drift into it and it should push out.
wot179

Post by wot179 »

And dont forget to refit an automatic spigot bush as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-AUTO-SPI ... 2a234db5f8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

what gearbox are you taking out?
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

A Toyota steel case 4 speed was just taken out. Apparently a HR tailshaft might fit straight in, but the article I read doesn't mention whether it is an auto or manual tailshaft - I assume auto as the yoke would be the same?
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

i just thought if it was aussie 4 speed it would be the same tailshaft
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

yeah possibly. Bloody jap gearboxes :lol: . I think i'll just have to get my hands on a red flexplate, fit the running gear and measure it up and go searching for the right tailshaft
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

There are these new flexplates:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Holden-6 ... 2c6866e53a
Considering the rest of the running gear is freshly reco'd, is it worth using a new flex plate or will a used one do the trick just as well?
Trev

Post by Trev »

If the teath on a used one are not chewed out it will be fine :thumbsup:
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3