hydramatic diff ratio

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKjimmy
State: NOT ENTERED

hydramatic diff ratio

Post by EKjimmy »

I've had a look around the forum at different diff ratios and it seems that a 3.55 centre is okay with a hydramatic. I'm taking the ek to Melbourne this weekend and want to be able to sit at 100-110 without straining the grey too much. So the question is, is a 3.55 the best option all around, or could a 3.36 be used without ruining the gearbox? And would it be too sluggish around the suburbs?
Also, do both axle seals need to be replaced?
Thanks, Jimmy
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
Mick
State: NSW

Re: hydramatic diff ratio

Post by Mick »

i may be wrong but at a guess you should be ok with the 3.36 it might hurt you on hills though, also take into consideration the height of yor tyres if you have lower profile tyres than original the 3.55 will probly only bring you back to where the ratios were originally with 3.89 and tall tyres
there was someone on here a while back that was running 2.78 with hydra and grey motor and said he had no real issues
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
EKjimmy
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: hydramatic diff ratio

Post by EKjimmy »

Very good point Mick, anyway i'm leaving tomorrow with a 3.89 in tow so i'll just see how it goes - it's normally fine at 60mph (speedo reading) on the freeway anyway.
I just get paranoid that i''m revving it too much :roll:
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'