Noisy Steering

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Cal
State: NOT ENTERED

Noisy Steering

Post by Cal »

Noticed last night when I was driving the EK, when I first start to turn the wheel (in either direction) that for the first 1/4 turn there's an annoying squeal coming from the column. Seems to be somewhere between the honeypot and where the column goes through the firwall. I was going to take the wheel off and have a better look, but as is normal with me and cars, I'll probably stuff other things up in the process :oops: .

Any ideas?
ekstevo
State: VIC

Re: Noisy Steering

Post by ekstevo »

might be time to grease the front end . Id jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock and have a listen and decide where abouts the noise is coming from may as well pump some grease in the nipples while its in the air and have a look .
How often does 1 grease the nipples?
Cal

Post by Cal »

I gotta admit I haven't greased my nipples (I mean the car's) :oops: since I bought it almost 3 years back, though this noise definitely does sound like it's from the column
Trev

Post by Trev »

I recently assembled my column, and noticed the gears shift was a bit stiff so when it was apart again it was very easy to shift gears so I put some washers on the column between the honey pot and indicator section and it seems to have fixed it.
You could try giving it a squirt with WD40 or find where it is rubbing :thumbsup: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Cal

Post by Cal »

thanks Trev. I squirted everything in sight.........and it still squeaks.

I'll grin and bear it. It can join all the other odd noises coming out this car :lol:
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Cal,
could be a number of things - anything from a scraping horn ring contact to something which has entered the cavity through the gaps around the gearshift nebule.

If you decide to pull the steering wheel off, just be careful whilst you are sitting behind it.... lots of us have had very sore noses. And, pull out the "horn" fuse until you put it all back together again.

You won't get much of a look down the column with the s/wheel off - I am hoping you should be able to see some bright scoring on something, or some fresh metal dust...

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

frats,
Rosco
Mai Ki-Ki

Post by Mai Ki-Ki »

If pulling wheel off....undo nut then put it back on 2-3 turns, so when the wheel 'pops' off you don't do the whack yourself in the face trick.... :wink:
The Kardinals, Melbourne.
Cal

Post by Cal »

I've wacked myself before with a steering wheel :oops: , so I left the nut on whilst pulling it. Think I'll have to go and buy a puller though, coz the bastard didn't want to budge :twisted: :lol:

Rosco, it was still doing it when I had the horn ring off, so it's definitely something in the column
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ok Cal - might have to go in a little further.
If you take a peek under the column - you'll find a spring which holds pressure against your gear-change lever when in 1st/reverse. It is normally grease coated... there's a chance that something may have been tangled in that area... do you have compressed air?

Is there any "binding" or "grinding" feel when you turn the wheel?... I have not yet had to replace the upper steering wheel column bearing yet - and can't speak of experience in removing one. I can type up the factory manual instructions if you need them.

I would doubt that the indicator switch assembly and wiring would cause the issue - but.......you might like to try "drawing" a little pressure on the leads at the lower exit of the column.... and turn the wheel..... a "little" pressure - don't heave or wrench on them....

I suspect you have taken a close peek at the gaps between s/wheel/gear change nebule and column cover..... and would identify any "dropping" of the wheel assembly onto the column...... just guessing here - but they might be something yet to be investigated....

For all intents and purposes - it would appear that you might have to remove the upper bearing to get a peek down the column tubing.... I'd certainly try blasting a few long jets of air in all directions into the column before dis-assembling it......

Please keep us informed, Cal...

frats,
Rosco
Cal

Post by Cal »

Thanks Rosco....

I've all that you've mentioned, except for the compressed air. I'll take it to work at the end of the week and blow everything out.

Nothing is binding or grinding, but I'm beginning to think that it may be the upper column bearing, which I noticed when looking through the repair manual. Sounds like a lack of lubrication somewhere. I also have a very sloppy gear change, which also may have something to do with it (someone has bored out the hole in the honeypot and gear stick, and there's now a nut and bolt where the pivot pin used to be).

I'll keep you posted
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ah, Cal - a light begins to shine.... someone has "meddled" with it previous to yourself...

I note that you mention this squeal occurs just each side of centre. The steering box has a slightly built up area in this region - to compensate for the "regular" position of driving (to prevent premature wear). I gave this some thought yesterday, but am yet to percieve any co-relation with your squeal.
Just wondering, if you rotate the wheel one or two turns either way of straight ahead, does this squeal appear when the steering wheel is in "normal" position?

My thoughts are that it may not be the upper shaft bearing, as you have sprayed WD40 into it - probably not what I would have suggested as it may dilute the grease.

I am becoming suspicious of the drilled out gear-shift retaining pin. The end of the gear lever would run pretty close to the steering shaft and if not "centred" could possibly extend far enough to touch the shaft.
There is also a return spring further down but this is near where the linkage conncections are in the engine bay.

The sloppy gearshift ..... can you elaborate a bit as to where you believe the slop to be?..... in most cases, when the grommets and linkage connections are inspected and found to be reasonably free of slop - result from the nylon trunnion wearing. In my very early days, I felt something "clunk" once when changing gears and there was an enormous amount of slop.... it turned out to be the trunnion wore sufficiently to fall out of the split circular retainer in the linkage.... I could still change gears - but it was like fishing for trout with a short rod.....

Cal, I've probably typed far too much again for this next step.... and confused you and all watching the thread.....

Please keep us up to speed with your progress..

frats,
Rsoco
Cal

Post by Cal »

Hi Rosco, no the noise only happens when the wheel is in straight ahead, with the front wheels straight. When I went out to check it just now the squeal had gone, but sure as sh1t I bet it'll be back. Maybe the lashings of grease I sprayed all over everything did the trick :lol:

With the gearshift, it had a dodgy pin through the honeypot which made it hard to swivel the stick. My mechanic drilled out the hole and put a nut and bolt through. The hole in the stick seems a little larger than the bolt, hence the slopy gearstick. I don't know if the gearshift itself could be classed as sloppy, as I've got nothing to compare it too. It was sloppy when I first got the car, though the mechanic seems to have tightened things up. One thing though, it's near impossible to go from first to second whilst in a right hand turn. Unless I pause halfway through the shift, it'll crunch it's balls off :mrgreen:
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Peter...I've got a spare honey pot if that helps...
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ok Cal - guess we've given you something to chase if the squeal comes back...
You have now given me something else to ponder through - "crunches it's goolies off"... on a right hand turn.....hmmmmmm weight of engine throws to left - might be slight need of adjustment to gear linkages..... something is going to come of this, Cal.... and probably all linked to one source....

frats,
Rosco