Radio restoration ?

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

CHO576
State: NOT ENTERED

Radio restoration ?

Post by CHO576 »

Gday Fella's

Can anybody recommend a company that can restore period style radios?

My push button radio outta my FB (HMV from memory) is not working, and has seen better days. I was thinking of getting the internals overhauled.

Any recommendations ... NSW preferred, but of course I could mail it if I had to.

Cheers,
Jamie.
Stygian
State: NSW

Post by Stygian »

Hey Jamie,

There is an old bloke who restores old car radios that does the rounds at NSW swap meets. I bought my Airchief off him at the Goulburn Swap about 5 - 6 years ago. My radio also came with a reconditioned speaker, new aerial and 1 year warranty.

Next time I am in the workshop I will dig out his contact details, as I think I kept his card with my radio.

Andrew :)
CHO576

Post by CHO576 »

Cheers Andrew,

Sounds just like what I'm after.

What sort of dollars am I looking at for what you bought?
fxfjholden.com

Re: Radio restoration ?

Post by fxfjholden.com »

Just resurfacing an old thread as I want to have my EK radio restored.

Any information re restorer?

Thanks

Jason
"From FJ to HZ, if you don't drive a HOLDEN you're better off DEAD"
fxfjholden forums - http://forums.fxfjholden.com
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Radio restoration ?

Post by Harv »

I know the radio that Jamie was referring to... now mine :D . It is a His Master’s Voice radio (model S9, serial number 01941) by EMI (Australia) Ltd, fitted with the MSP HiFlux dash speaker.

I got the radio working, but it decided to let the smoke out of the wires one afternoon (damn thing wasn't even turned on :shock: ). 100km/h down the M4, radio putting out more smoke than Bob Marley, and me frantically trying to pull the crap out of the glovebox with one arm (to get at the fuse) whilst pulling over with the other :lol:. It was a mixed blessing - at least it saved me from 2GB for a few weeks :mrgreen:

Looking inside these things, there not too complex (they even have a beautiful wiring diagram printed inside the casing). I ended up getting an electronics repair shop to put the smoke back in the wires.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.