cutting rear shelf for speakers

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKjimmy
State: NOT ENTERED

cutting rear shelf for speakers

Post by EKjimmy »

Will be putting 6x9 speakers into rear shelf soon, and need to cut out holes for them. They will be mounted underneath the shelf (only reason i'm cutting holes out is to ensure the sound isn't muffled) and MDF and carpet board will go over the top to hide the speakers and keep it looking sort of original (even though it's carpet and not the original vinyl)
When cutting through the shelf, are there any particular spots which shouldn't be cut, and is it necessary to reinforce the shelf (i want to do it properly, not just cut holes and be done with it)
Cheers, Jimmy
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Re: cutting rear shelf for speakers

Post by (AUST)Mod »

It is a crap job with the rear screen in.

I enlarged some 6" holes to 6x9, would never do it again!

I first tried an angle grinder, and got the sparks stuck in my glass!
Then tried a saber saw, and this made it heaps easier.
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Jimmy,

(Aust)Mod is right... beware the angle grinder. Someone has butchered my FB's rear shelf with one, and I too have the "black bits of crap" embedded in the rear windscreen. I'm hoping some cutting compound will get it out (without distorting the screen optics... fingers crossed). If you must use a grinder, put something between the shelf and the screen (nothing flammable like an old towel though).

When you stick in the speakers, think carefully about seatbelts. If you want to add belts later, they may be hard if the speakers are too close to where they mount. The parcel shelf is often used to locate the top harness mounting point, and if you can't use it then you may have to mount through the C-pillar. Not sure if you can mount through the C-pillar without "Frankenstein" bolts.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Dakam

Post by Dakam »

Hey Jimmy, I have used a Dremel with the reinforced wheels which last OK. Alot easier to handle and more accurate, altough it does take a bit longer than an angle grinder. Dremels are usually a couple of hundred bucks with some bits thrown in and are worth their weight in gold, I use one at work all the time. The one I have at home is an Ozito and Ive used it a bit and hasnt played up yet (touch wood), and the bits are interchangable with Dremel. The Ozito is heaps cheper, I think mine was under $50 from memory.

Dave.
I'd rather drive something made of metal, not plastic!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Jigsaw with steel cutting blade from in the boot works really well.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

in the last 6 months i've decided not to bother. i'm rather sick of sound systems. 2 speakers and a sub is plenty for me :D
thanks for the ideas anyway
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'