removing windscreen

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

caz
State: NOT ENTERED

removing windscreen

Post by caz »

I am having quote today for rust removal and painting, what is the best way to remove front and back windscreens from the FB? Should I get professional to do it?

At last...things are really moving forward! :D
Yes! My Dream begins!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Are you going to replace the rubbers ? If so , I have found the easiest way is to cut the back section of the rubber off (the bit inside the car) then push the screen out and remove the rubber and the trims.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

Remove the corner trim screws first, located at the lower section of the front screen and upper section of the rear. remove the screws on the upper curved pieces left and right. Jump inside and free the rubber, using a small screwdriver or plastic icing spatula, then get your fingers in on it. Once its loose from the body use your feet on the inner upper edges to put applied pressure and presto, it will release, from the top. Then you can remove then easy as pie.

Regards John
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
matchew

Post by matchew »

either way they have metioned both work, but the way i did mine(which is a wagon so i had o rear side windows to remove) was similar to blackys, i got a sharp knife and pushed it down in to the ruber runnig parralel with the window and agaainst it an sliced right arounr the window and then had a person on the outside and pushed i from the inside wihout even trying, i had them all out in 15 minutes if that,
i personally prefer this method as theres no way of smashing glass but you do need to get new rubbers/seals which i would replace anyway.
cheers matty
always a good day for cars
Dee

Post by Dee »

Bit up a side street at this, but does anyone nkow if ya can get a replecament rear sedan window with the demista thinggys on em? the one the factry puts on new cars..

I rekkon the back window in sedans fogges up quiker than a mirra in a bathroom when its cold.

parden for hoggin the thred.

Dee
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

Dee wrote:Bit up a side street at this, but does anyone nkow if ya can get a replecament rear sedan window with the demista thinggys on em? the one the factry puts on new cars..

I rekkon the back window in sedans fogges up quiker than a mirra in a bathroom when its cold.
How good would one of those be.
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
caz

windscreen removal

Post by caz »

thanks guys, will be giving it a go on sunday, so exciting!!!!!!!! At last...
Yes! My Dream begins!
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

SunnyTim wrote:Has anyone ever tried to break safety glass? I've thrown bricks at windscreens 5 or 6 times from a moderate distance before I have managed to break one...I remember this wrecking yard in Tamworth in the early 90's had staked the cars side by side so you couldn't open the doors - we threw a rim at the back window of this FB on level up in the pile numerous times and couldn't break it :twisted:
there is a secret :wink: toughened glass screens break very easilly from the inside :)

ALSO be carefull with the kicking out method if the rubbers have hardened you can put yor foot through the glass, i learned the hard way :shock:
Dee

Post by Dee »

Did ya have ta grew new feet RB..
we'll nkow who ta look for at the nats..

Yep - I got told to sprey wd 40 all round the rubba first and let it soke in for some time. and to pull away at the rubba all round were it goes into the hole on the body

and rap ya legs with somethin when kikken or pushen.. and no safty flip flops RB..

if ya want ta keep the glass - put somethin on the other side for it to fall on.
sometimes the rubba jest lets go and its too late to stop it..

we culd start a window kikken comp at showes with a prize for longist..

Dee
matchew

Post by matchew »

thats the reason i dont like kickin it out ratbox
and sunnytim all you need to do to break the glass is get a spark plug and chip a bit of the porcelain off and throw it at the window and it will shatter :twisted:
always a good day for cars
timbo.ambo
State: NSW

Re: removing windscreen

Post by timbo.ambo »

Hi all.
I just thought I'd add some info for budding future windscreen removers, from my experience today:
I removed the wipers and rear vision mirror. My visors were already off getting re-sewn.
- my rubbers were way way past their use by date. They were cracked hard and leaking like a sieve. Using the brute force option wasn't going to work.
- I stole a vegetable peeling knife (blade is about 7cm long) from the kitchen, and the sharpening steal, got it nice and sharp. The Stanley knife wasn't going to be up to the task.
- I discovered that the inner top section of the old rubber wasn't as bad, so I sat inside and cut off the 1cm lip, I started in one bottom corner and worked up, across and down to the other bottom corner. The bottom section above the dash was too big, thick and hard to cut.
- then I removed the 4 outside screws, removed the clip at the middle/top, and finally the screw hiding under there!
- then I pushed the top corners with very little force, they came away nicely. then worked gently towards the middle, prising the windscreen away.
- with a helper we lifted the bottom section of the rubber away from the car.

Hey presto. If I can do it, anyone can. A local windscreen company was going to charge me good $$$ for the job, and I had to provide the new rubbers!

Now to fitting the new rubbers and original windscreen. This youtube vid by Rare Spares looks really helpful for fitting the new one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpXbpUb8GO8
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That's the way Tim. Not that hard is it?
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Oh Clay!

You were right about the removal. But the refit is a real %#@*%$ !!!

I should have read this post: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8922

...maybe I wouldn't have been so cocky coz I fought it and fought it....the windscreen won...today at least. There's always tomorrow :gasp:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I did my front and rear using six year old rubbers no real dramas. Assemble rubber, trim and cord on screen and tape in place. I did mine solo but helps if you have a mate to push and thump on the outside while you pull the cord. Used a thick curtain cord.

One thing to note is that there is a variation on screen and opening sizes. If you can't get a screen to match your opening it is s matter of adjusting the opening by stretching or compressing the bottom corners using a come along. I found this out when my mate borrowed my sedan whole I was overseas, broke the screen and had it replaced by the "experts" with a laminated screen that was too wide for the opening. Looked wrong and leaked. The laminated screen cracked when I removed it so I found a second hand screen that fit.

The Holden grey screen sealant is the go after the screen is in as I recall.

Otherwise let the experts do it but make sure you're happy with the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

haha thanks mate. the windscreen is the same one I took out of the car yesterday....and the rubbers are new. So, I have no excuses ! it just makes me more determined. cheers for the pointers