removing windscreen

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

timbo.ambo
State: NSW

Re: removing windscreen

Post by timbo.ambo »

Oh Clay!

You were right about the removal. But the refit is a real %#@*%$ !!!

I should have read this post: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8922

...maybe I wouldn't have been so cocky coz I fought it and fought it....the windscreen won...today at least. There's always tomorrow :gasp:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I did my front and rear using six year old rubbers no real dramas. Assemble rubber, trim and cord on screen and tape in place. I did mine solo but helps if you have a mate to push and thump on the outside while you pull the cord. Used a thick curtain cord.

One thing to note is that there is a variation on screen and opening sizes. If you can't get a screen to match your opening it is s matter of adjusting the opening by stretching or compressing the bottom corners using a come along. I found this out when my mate borrowed my sedan whole I was overseas, broke the screen and had it replaced by the "experts" with a laminated screen that was too wide for the opening. Looked wrong and leaked. The laminated screen cracked when I removed it so I found a second hand screen that fit.

The Holden grey screen sealant is the go after the screen is in as I recall.

Otherwise let the experts do it but make sure you're happy with the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

haha thanks mate. the windscreen is the same one I took out of the car yesterday....and the rubbers are new. So, I have no excuses ! it just makes me more determined. cheers for the pointers
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

This has been discussed on here before - the repro rubbers aren't as deep where the screen sits so they don't fit nice - if you still have the old rubber it wouldn't hurt to measure it and see if they are the same.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

The old rubber fell to bits. It was well past its use-by date. So I couldn't really compare it with the new one, Blacky. Replacement is from Rare Spares.

Clay, Your comment about "Holden grey sealant" got me thinking. I hadn't heard mention of using sealant when fitting it till now. I thought just having clean grooves and new well fitted rubber and metal trim was all I needed.

Do I need to use windscreen sealant too? There was old residue sealant that I scraped away when I removed the old one. If I do need to, could you advise when / where I lay the bead ?

Thanks and cheers

Tim
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Tim

See here for some 'action' shots of windscreen installation.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=690

Black sealant was used. I also had problems with the first rubber I bought and had to buy another from a different source.

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The sealant is insurance

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I have always wondered how they get the screens in without getting mastic all over the headliner etc ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Windscreen is in and I'm pretty happy with it. I used sealant too. Yeah the rubber wasn't perfect, the problem being at the 2 curves along the bottom of the screen. It just wasn't sitting neat against the trim prior to install, but kept this in mind when we were fitting and stretched it out into place.

No, not an easy job, but if it can be done it saves a bit $$ for other things on the EK wishlist
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

SunnyTim wrote:Me too Blacky. Tim if you don't use windscreen sealant you will leak just like you're old rubber...
Rare spares make their rubbers to suit laminated screens now which are smaller in diameter than the original safety glass. I used 3 different rubbers last time until I found one that fitted. Its not the car or glass it's the rubber.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
That's what we found as well :wink:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good on you Tim. That's the fun of these old cars. Doing it your self with basic tools.

EK van on rotisserie
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Windscreen is in and I'm pretty happy with it
Good stuff :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer