Making your own braided hoses

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Making your own braided hoses

Post by Harv »

I really, really hate flexible fuel lines. It makes my teeth hurt when I see vehicles plumbed up with long lengths of either rubber hose or braided line. Using some flexible hose though is inevitable - something has to flex between the hard lines on the body/chassis, and the engine which rotates a little as it torques. I like nice short lengths, neatly done.

The FED and a few other projects are going to need something more than rubber hose. Probably stainless braided, Teflon inner lines. I promise not to use the red and blue anodised fittings that scream 1980's street machine :mrgreen:. As far as I can see, no-one makes short lengths (around 4-6") of premade hose with AN fittings. It is all DIY from bulk hose.

I'm geared up to make hardline (straighten, cut, bend and flare) from 1/4" to 3/4" in both AN and SAE. That gear gets a lot of workout on brake and fuel lines. I also have the aviation-grade tooling to "bead" small hardline so that rubber hose can be slipped over and clamped in place. One thing I have never done though is making my own braided line.

The various hose manufacturers (Earls, Proflow, Aeroflow, Speedflow etc) have how-to information on how to make the hose up. Looks pretty simple. They also have a huge amount of tooling that is quite expensive... anything from simple hose shears to fancy aluminium vice setups, dies etc. I will make a few hoses (perhaps 40 or so over time), but I won't be doing it nearly as often as I use my other gear. If I can get away with using basic tooling I will.

Before I either:
a) send myself more insane trying to make the hoses without the right tooling, or
b) spend a small fortune on tooling I don't need
does anyone have much experience in making up their own braided lines, and if so what tooling would you recommend?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Making your own braided hoses

Post by Blacky »

My neighbour owns a Pirtek so I just get him to make them and he hangs them on the fence in a bag when they are done 8)

If they are going to be used in braking systems they need to be stamped with an approval number so you cant legally make your own anyway.

I guess that doesnt help a lot .............
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
gledge
State: SA

Post by gledge »

Personally I prefer speed flow but race works also do pretty good gear now, they are very simple to use but you need to decide which brand you are going to use as there are slight differences in hose compatibility between the brands.. all the companies make relatively affordable vice jaws and the
Spanners that you will always need as you start use in AN fittings.. I just use a 1mm cutting disc on the angle grinder with masking tape to stop the braid from fraying…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 am My neighbour owns a Pirtek so I just get him to make them and he hangs them on the fence in a bag when they are done 8)
Lol. The neighbour is in to racing pigeons. Might not help too much on hoses :lol:
gledge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:54 am Personally I prefer speed flow but race works also do pretty good gear now, they are very simple to use but you need to decide which brand you are going to use as there are slight differences in hose compatibility between the brands.. all the companies make relatively affordable vice jaws and the
Spanners that you will always need as you start use in AN fittings.. I just use a 1mm cutting disc on the angle grinder with masking tape to stop the braid from fraying…
Cool. I have the aluminium spanners from doing AN hardlines, and grinder (for making my welding look professional... a grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't :mrgreen: ).

Looks like I may only need a new set of softjaws.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Amazing coincidence. Opened this up while sitting in at Pirtek Fyshwick getting a braided clutch hose made. Sorry Harv, it's full length master to hydraulic throwout bearing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Attachments
20240301_125539.jpg
20240301_125539.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 296 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Dr Terry

Post by Dr Terry »

I'm a Raceworks distributor & based at Auburn, I make these all the time.

One thing to keep in mind is that brake hoses for street registered road cars, regardless of whether they are factory-style rubber or braided must have crimped ends. The ones which are made using removable AN fittings are not street legal.

As mention above, aftermarket braided hoses must also have the engineering approval number stamped on them.

Dr Terry
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Brett027 wrote:Amazing coincidence. Opened this up while sitting in at Pirtek Fyshwick getting a braided clutch hose made. Sorry Harv, it's full length master to hydraulic throwout bearing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
What was the cost at pirtek Brett?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

My bad. Should have mentioned that I am interested in making up braided lines for anything other than brakes.

Truth be known, I prefer the crimped-end rubber hoses for brakes… and no need for flexible brake lines on the FED 8)

Cheers,
Harv
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

$100 made up Clay. It's same as the Mal Woods bearing hoses but with a clearish plastic coating over the brades. Just lazy me really as I have the gear to make pipe one but was looking for a different look.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
gledge

Post by gledge »

You better hit someone up for a race works book Harv they Come in very handy

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sounds good Brett, not lazy mentally. There is a guy local that makes up seedpro I think. Glen will know. Not cheap I hear. Pirtek sound a good option.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Harv,

Motorsport connections in Seven Hills is where I go.

Good quality, I have tried other makes and I am happiest with them.

There are also different hose types and different fittings, so they need to be matched.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Good advice, and thanks all.

Ended up going with Speedflow hose and fittings. Parcel arrived with -6, -8 and -10 gear, and looks good. I had forgotten how good (and quick) their customer service is. Fitup process is pretty simple provided I take my time.

Cheers,
Harv
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Top shelf good choice