trimatic crossmember

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: trimatic crossmember

Post by Errol62 »

In my sedan I used RHS to extend the inner y frame legs back and up to join the under seat cross brace to compensate for cutting out the forward cross section when enlarging the tunnel. This provided a strong mounting point to bolt up a shortened HQ - HZ gearbox x member. Bolts straight up neatly with captive nuts welded to angle iron brackets which are located to allow a straight drive line (minimise deflection at the front uni joint).

Handbrake pivot is located in original position by means of a bracket extending forward from the gb x member.

I can post pics on the weekend if interested.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

mph wrote:Devil rod would you have any pics of your hand brake bracket set up on that cross member. Thanks
Been a long time since I did it but I'm fairly sure it is still running the handbrake setup as per factory, from memory.
Should also add there is box tube following the tunnel tying the two sections of crossmember back together.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Trev wrote:Hi mph, I have wrecked out my ek I'd be happy to send you my tube n plate with hand brake welded to it cross member if you pay postage.
I'll put up a pic later when I get home.

Thanks for the kind offer Trev, but i have a cross member already, i made it from a EH x member and custom brackets etc.
The oem handbrake bracket i unpicked spot welds from the original fb cross member a fair while ago and was after the location of the handbrake bracket and how the thing actually works with the pivot bar.
so any pics would be good, google search images mainly bought up k frames

also Errol and devilrod thanks for the input to. :thumbsup:
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Just run the front cable out parallel to the drive line with the hand brake actuator handle at half travel and adjuster thread also at mid travel (so mid adjustment at either end of front cable). Position the factory lever at right angles. That sets the horizontal position for the lever fulcrum and therefore the bracket position. Vertical position is a compromise between clearing transmission/ tail shaft and ground clearance. With the larger trimatic trans I found mounting to gearbox x member allowed better geometry than trying to mount to body. This was all a while ago now so relying on memory a bit. Drive line is out of the car so should be able to get reasonable photos if o remember on the weekend.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie