Radiator shop recommendations: Sydney?

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Radiator shop recommendations: Sydney?

Post by thebrotherj »

Hello! I'ts been a while, hope yer all well.
A tale for another time, but I'm typing with Leroy the EK Ute still parked right behind me... even though I came within hours of selling him. Very pleased about that too.

So the radiator repair shop I;ve used for years at 45 Kenyons Rd Merrylands here in Sydney, has closed up for good. I need a simple repair done to a split seam on the top radiator tank of this 202 powered HZ Panno I'm dialling in for a friend.
A couple of people I've spoken too today were downright aggressive (trying to sell me an alloy radiator replacement or deciding that the one I have is not even worth repairing before they even saw it...) and the one lovely bloke I know in Marrickville is asking $420 + GST. Kinda hoping to beat that price somewhat...

Keen to hear if anyone in Sydney can recommend a no-fuss operator who won't get their knickers in a knot about repairing on old brass radiator.

Cheers,
Joe D
Harv

Re: Radiator shop recommendations: Sydney?

Post by Harv »

I've used Natrad at Granville:
137-139 Parramatta Rd, Granville NSW 2142

They soldered up a NASCO heater core for me gratis. Took a leaking VL radiator in to them and they gave me options instead of an ultimatum.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

how is access? the usual way to repair is just silver solder, clean well with heat (not heaps of heat just enough for melting solder) wire brush and acid (can't remember what type of acid we used to use) then heat flux and silver solder special attention to trying to keep as little heat as possible on the core
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

Ring Arthur at North Shore Radiators. He's done a great job on both radiators I've had him do, one of which required an intricate, non-pressurised overflow system to be rebuilt. On my EK, he used the old tanks but put in a triple row CT core to keep it cooler. Arthur's not cheap but neither is his work; and he'll come to you to pick up your radiator and drop if off when it's ready.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Harv wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:18 pm I've used Natrad at Granville:
137-139 Parramatta Rd, Granville NSW 2142

They soldered up a NASCO heater core for me gratis. Took a leaking VL radiator in to them and they gave me options instead of an ultimatum.

Cheers,
Harv
thanks Harv, they sound a but more like what I'm used to. Might go for a cruise today :)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Stygian wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:14 am Ring Arthur at North Shore Radiators. He's done a great job on both radiators I've had him do, one of which required an intricate, non-pressurised overflow system to be rebuilt. On my EK, he used the old tanks but put in a triple row CT core to keep it cooler. Arthur's not cheap but neither is his work; and he'll come to you to pick up your radiator and drop if off when it's ready.
I remember Arthur!
I couldn't find him at his old location down the end of Victoria Rd there in Chatswood, but he's gone mobile now I see. Thanks for sharing his website.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Mick wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:41 pm how is access? the usual way to repair is just silver solder, clean well with heat (not heaps of heat just enough for melting solder) wire brush and acid (can't remember what type of acid we used to use) then heat flux and silver solder special attention to trying to keep as little heat as possible on the core
Easy access - top tank seam. If I remember from TAFE, they talked about an acid flux (wire brush and thorough clean first) used with silver solder, yeah. I was hoping to pay someone who's better at this than me to do it for peace of mind, cos it's not my car. Also wanted to whip the top tank right off and clean the tubes

some more thinking to do. Maybe I have a go at soldering, do a thorough blast through with the hose and a shake... thanks Mick.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

They used to take off one tank and push rods through the tubes. Had my FC done by an old school bloke in about 1989 for $20.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Joe,

Long time no see !!! Hows that diff centre going I found in my parts stash ??

I used to use a guy in Bankstown, gone, Villawood, gone, Chipping Norton, gone and the last bloke i used is in Riverstone but hes getting up there in price.

There was another place near liverpool I used called Mr Radiator but thats probably gone as well. One last place in Toongabbie, you would have to google them all and see if they are still around.

The good old days slipping through the fingers, not much talent left with these old trades.

Good to see Leroy still has a home ! Whats happened to Studebaker, oh and the chevy engine you promissed me Ha Ha Ha !!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!