EK seating for the slim-challenged

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

timbo.ambo
State: NSW

EK seating for the slim-challenged

Post by timbo.ambo »

Hi all.

The new rubber flooring arrives soon (wooohooo). So I'll be taking the seats out to fit it. While I'm at it, the backseat-to-boot divider will be replaced, might throw some rust guard around, and I'll be installing a fire extinguisher. Now I've been thinking....

The front seat has been slid back as far as it goes, but I have long legs (I'm sticking to that). Has anyone ever reinstalled the front bench seat a couple of inches further back? Maybe drilled a few new holes in the floor and bolted the seat further back? Or, how about 2 additional steel brackets bolted down through the original holes, and the seat bolted to the additional bracket? or can you maybe adjust the seat slide mechanism to go further back.

I need more leg room!

Until I get the seats and mangy carpet out, I'm only guessing options. Any experienced fellas out there with long legs have any suggestions on what they've done??

Cheers.

Tim
(Grafton)
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: EK seating for the slim-challenged

Post by Devilrod »

I have a mate who has done that on a couple of EK's. So long as you plate the seat mounts properly so they don't tear through the floor should be all good.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Been looking at this problem too was going to try and extend the runners
By cutting and adding some length to the runners and rewelding will let you know how
I go :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

The other option would be to move the seat to runner mounting points rearward. I think you will find an inch makes a big difference. Lifting the front mounts only by using the dealer optioned spacers or similar will also improve comfort by supporting lower thighs better and slightly increasing backrest inclination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick Jagger
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Mick Jagger »

I moved mine back about an inch
just drilled new holes the rear just before the bend(looking from underneath) so i could weld new nuts on the flat
no more tummy on the wheel :wink34:
kmawic
bumper
State: TAS

Post by bumper »

Im not a small guy, as most know me, i dont have any issues with just the seat right back, i will be putting spacers under the front points on my v8 wagon to see if it feels any better tho
wanker????
I'd rather consider myself as an "owner operator"!!

FBEKHOLDENFANS page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253705454864/
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Errol62 & Bumper

....These front spacers you speak of: could you describe what I could use as spacers....and how high they are...or how high I should go.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

They were a ceramic Doo dad, quite common and seen them in a few wrecks in the day. I'm guessing 7/16-1/2" thick. Seen repros on eBay at ridiculous prices. Easy enough to make up out of some hdpe or similar. Have a look for the eBay item and use as an example to make some up. That's my plan.
Have fun with it.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Shear strength of the bolt dictates how high you should go but you may be surprised what a difference 12mm lift makes.

EK van on rotisserie
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Found em - eBay. $50 haha. You're right, I'll whip some up outa HDPE.
Attachments
front seat spacers.png
front seat spacers.png (719.74 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

EK JAY wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 5:34 pm ...was going to try and extend the runners by cutting and adding some length to the runners and rewelding ...
Hi EK JAY

I got the front bench seat out today, and had a good look. I have 2 options I reckon:

- Extending the runners, as you say, doesn't seem possible because they are too deep up into the seat and can't get past. But we can unbolt the whole runner mechanism from the seat and move the mechanism forward 25mm, re-drill and rebolt. We may need to grind out a small triangle from the forward outer edge of the track so it will sit up into to the seat's curve (You'll understand when you look). The bolt lengths look ok for the addition of a steel plate to add strength.

- Moving the whole kit and kaboodle (technical term) back by drilling 4 new holes in the floor pan rear-ward of the original holes. The distance is limited with the back holes as the floor falls away after 30mm - as Mick Jagger pointed out. Then the addition of plates to strengthen as DevilRod suggests.

Oh and I forgot the front raisers too. After all this we'll have to run the seat forward to reach the clutch!

Let me know how you get on EK Jay.

Tim
Harv

Post by Harv »

timbo.ambo wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:41 pm Found em - eBay. $50 haha. You're right, I'll whip some up outa HDPE.
Give Pete a yell from the FE/FC forum... he does them a damn site cheaper:
http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=17929.0

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Tim,
I am considering moving the runners forward on the seat as you suggest. With this mod you could incorporate the tilt, even without the mod. Just need an appropriate spacer between mounting faces and slightly longer bolts.
I've been meaning to get round to mocking this up in my van. I'm concerned that rearward travel will be limited by the bulkhead behind the seat. I may look at relocating said bulkhead slightly further back. There is sihtloads of room behind there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Harv,
Thanks for the tip. Pete and the FE FC site are incredibly helpful. Up there with you and this forum.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

I decided to design and build a bracket to fit between the front seat and the floor. this gave me an extra 7cm and a slightly higher angle. I did this so it could all be returned to original - no permanent modification. Here are some pics. I will also include measurements of the steel bracket.
top a.jpg
top a.jpg (423.51 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
side a.jpg
side a.jpg (469.73 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
rear of bracket 2a.jpg
rear of bracket 2a.jpg (611 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
rear of bracket 1a.jpg
rear of bracket 1a.jpg (475.99 KiB) Viewed 1604 times