Door Glass Channel Weatherstrips query

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

timbo.ambo
State: NSW

Door Glass Channel Weatherstrips query

Post by timbo.ambo »

Hi all

I've just removed my rear door windows to replace the bailey channels and door belts. I was surprised to find yet more perished rubber :OMGGG: .... these are called "door glass channel weather strips" in the workshop manual. They run along the bottom of the door glass. Mine snap off like they're corn chips!

I found this info from forum member Rosco: [quote Just in case those who are yet to do this..... it is important that the strip is in good nick and angled towards the outer door panel....Its purpose is to deflect water and crud away from your winder mechanisms.....When the window is fully wound up, it sits neatly beneath the upper top of the door....
Leaving it out is perilous.... ][/quote]

So, what have people used as replacements? I couldn't find them for sale anywhere. Bicycle tube rubber maybe??? Do the originals have splits along them or is that just mine in that perished state?

Any advice is really appreciated

Cheers

Tim (Grafton)
Attachments
20161217_212922275_iOS.jpg
20161217_212922275_iOS.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 581 times
20161217_212827318_iOS.jpg
20161217_212827318_iOS.jpg (172.57 KiB) Viewed 581 times
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Door Glass Channel Weatherstrips query

Post by Blacky »

Tim , I haven't bothered with them , they are always perished to buggery and for the amount of wet weather my cars see I don't think its worth the trouble - a spray of white grease when the door trim is off is sufficient I reckon.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62
State: NSW

Re: Door Glass Channel Weatherstrips query

Post by parisian62 »

Yep what Blacky said. Mine were all perished too and I didn't bother changing them out.

You could try this mob https://www.glass4classics.com.au/ They were advertising the metal channel the glass sits in recently - they sell it by the metre...maybe they also sell the rubber channel? Might be worth a call?

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer