Removing Chrome

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Removing Chrome

Post by In the Shed »

G'day folks,

I want to remove chrome off a sheet metal part on my 1950 AJS motorcycle so it can be painted as per original. I appreciate electro players generally do this but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I read one suggestion of hydrochloric acid and water mix (1 part acid to 3 parts water).

Appreciate any input.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Removing Chrome

Post by EK DAZ »

Hi Stephen, I have sanded it of with" wet and dry" on my Ariel, but was a major job. I also sent some away to the electroplater to get de - chromed and it cost nearly as much to have chromed. Good luck Daz.
EK DAZ
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Is it die cast ? You need to be careful with that stuff - I am VERY slowly restoring a Rudge and I took the parts to the chrome plater to be done - AJS parts aren't too hard to find if you cock it up , but try buying parts for a bloody Rudge .........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Blacky,
Nah it's just the sheet metal dome cover that goes over the clutch, about 225 mm in diameter.

EK Daz,
I was thinking about wet & dry paper or hitting it with the wire wheel.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!