NASCO weathershield

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

NASCO weathershield

Post by Harv »

I'm starting to think I was cursed by a NASCO gypsy.... seems every accessory I lay my hands on turns out to be not quite right .

I bought a NASCO weathershield (NASCO is moulded into the plastic at the bottom right corner) a while ago. The photo below doesn't do it too much justice - it polished up nicely. It was supposed to be FB/EK... some measurements show it's not quite right.

The weathershield is 515-520mm wide, and 340mm tall.

FB/EK sedan windows with the 1/4 vent are 575mm wide (utes are similar), and 410mm without the 1/4 vent. They are 325mm tall (similar to ute). So for FB/EK, the weathershield is probably the right height (allowing for it to sit under the frame at the edges), but is about 2" too slim.

Anyone have a NASCO weathershield like this one (or know what it's off)? I'm doing a similar hunt on the FE/FC and FX/FJ forums. Early Vauxhall has been suggested.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
avm
State: VIC

Re: NASCO weathershield

Post by avm »

Hi Harv,

Did you obtain a resolution for your enquiry about weathershields? As it happens, I am now seriously considering trying to obtain one, but there seems to be little information about them (including installation instructions).
Project ICKPA.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: NASCO weathershield

Post by Harv »

A long time ago I had a weathershield almost exactly like yours, sold to me locally by a bloke who swore it was FB/EK. It was not. I tried for a long time to identify it... measured a lot of early Holden windows at car shows etc but could not find a fit. Can't remember if I sold it or accidently broke it, but no longer have it.

I did a lot of ringing around through various old contacts for blokes who made the weathershields. Each time the response was almost identical - the old bloke who worked in the shed out the back had retired, the moulds had been sold to someone years ago or had been thrown out. I don't know of anyone currently making them. I don't have any instructions for weathershields.

I've got weathershields on the drivers and passengers side of the wagon. I bought them nearly 20 years ago from Rick Shaw's Fast Fours and Rotaries. Found him via a magazine ad, and despite the business name he had "an old bloke who worked in the shed out the back" somewhere. Mine are two-piece. They bolt together with brass bolts, but it looked like Frankenstein so I replaced them with clear nylon bolts. They look OK, and still let you use the quarter windows. The downside is that they do not seal very well at all at the top forward corner. I drove from Tamworth to Sydney in pouring rain at one stage, fogged up, window down and ended up with as much water inside the car as out. It has a piece of PVC tape covering the gap at present.

I'm tempted to take them off and sell them... the kids reckon the extra drag should be good for half a second on the quarter :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.