Towbar - can you identify the difference?

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

RobinGi
State: VIC

Re: Towbar - can you identify the difference?

Post by RobinGi »

This is the towbar on my FB UTE

I got most of the spiderwebs out of the way

The rear nut/bolt is inside the tube

The diamentions arn't exact but within a sixteenth of a inch
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Thanks RobinGi - very much appreciated.

Interesting....

:mrgreen: The towbar in my sedan has a "dimension A" of 41.25". When I put the two plates either side of it, I get a width of 42.5". This is the distance between the two rear subframe rails on the sedan.
:mrgreen: The towbar that came off Bootlegger's panelvan, which also had plates, is also 42.5" across the subframe rails.
:mrgreen: My wagon towbar (which has the plates welded on) is 42.5" across the subframe rails.
:mrgreen: My "eBay special" towbar, which has no plates, is already 42.5" across the subframe rails.

:? Does your sedan towbar have (A + W + W = 37 + 3 + 3 = 43") across the subframe rails, or have I counted two thickness of 1/4" plate twice (ie it's really 42.5")?

Looks like:
:mrgreen: my "e-Bay special" will sit 0.75" lower than your ute bar (my "dimension B" is 6.5", your (X + V = 3 + 2.75 = 5.75").
:mrgreen: my "e-Bay special" will stick out 0.75" further behind the car than your ute bar (my "dimension I" is 5", yours is 4.25")

Now for the hard question:
:mrgreen: I have 1 3/8" of tongue plate sticking out behind the drawbar, you have none. Because my drawbar sits further back, I think my tongue plate would sit (1 3/8" - 0.75" = 7/8") further forwards than yours.

On your ute, at 0.75" lower than your tongue plate, is there a gap of at least 7/8" behind the drawbar, or is the fueltank in the way?
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
RobinGi

Post by RobinGi »

There's a bit of water floating around my backyard at the moment so I’m reluctant to do too much measuring at this point in time, happy to do more when it stops raining.

The position of the tow bar is relevant to the mounting holes that I haven’t measured as its still bolted (and rusted) in,

But for reference did a quick measure, the bottom of the tow tongue is flush with the bottom of the fuel tank (bolts extend further)

The tank has a ding in it so I’m unable to get an accurate measure of the distance between the tow bar and the tank but I would estimate close to 0.5” clearance at the rear of the tow tongue.

I don’t know how standard this tow bar is as if you look closely to the 1st picture the horizontal plate has been cut and re- welded in the middle, not something I would have expected from a finished product.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks RobinGi - appreciated (again). Hope the water hasn't covered anything too critical (especially any FB/EK parts :shock: ).

Looks like my "e-Bay special" is most likely a ute bar. I'll give it a tidy-up then post it for sale.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
leinamoon
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by leinamoon »

Anyone know of an engineer/welder who would be willing to make in Melbourne? ... inner north, northern suburbs preferably...
ejdave

Post by ejdave »

Aranda Towbars - 07 32083022 QLD and 0297270061 NSW still make towbars to suit FB EK's

Part No T2H153 (sedan and Wagon)
Part No T2H212 (FE -EK Ute & P/van)

We supply/fit towbars here in ACT. This mob came in and gave me the run down regarding their bars, but we have an agreement with another supplier who dont make the bars for earlier cars.
Give them a ring and see how you go..

Dave
leinamoon

Post by leinamoon »

Just had a tow bar put on however need to find a tongue to complete.
Am looking at getting a smaller camper/caravan to travel some,
Possibly a lot of variables, but does any one know the towing capacity of EK's?
Additionally, i have a 186 red nestled inside of my special.
thanks..
Harv

Post by Harv »

Leina,

I'm not aware of a towing capacity ever being stated by GMH (or towbar manufacturers) for FB/EKs. Most towbars only hang on by four bolts through the rear subframe (maybe another two through the floorpan on some designs) - these are not the strongest of connections (unlike bolting through the rails of a vehicle with a chassis). A set of drum brakes on each corner of the FB/EK doesn't help in the stopping department either :shock: ... so some caution is warranted. It may be worth thinking of a disk brake conversion if the load is reaching the limits below, or the towing is happening routinely at highway speeds/up and down dale :idea: .

In terms of legality, I understand it depends on the State your operating in. For NSW, for FB/EKs (under 4.5 tonnes, no GMH specified towing capacity) NSW Road Rules 2008 Section Division 1 Miscelaneous Rules for Drivers Rule 294–2 applies. The trailer must not exceed:
a) one and a half times the unladen weight of the FB/EK if the trailer is fitted with brakes (i.e. a trailer of about 1.8 tonne depending on model of FB/EK doing the towing), or
b) the unladen weight of the FB/EK if the trailer has no brakes (i.e. a trailer of about 1.2 tonne depending on model of FB/EK doing the towing).

I regularly shunt around a fully loaded box trailer behind the FB (boosted drums :mrgreen: ) that must be around the 1.2 tonne mark. No trouble stopping it or running up the F3. Having said that, I'd personally be a bit wary of 1.8 tonne behind an FB/EK - my car trailer with the EK on it is around 1.9 tonne, and although the FB would shove it around OK, I'd hate to stop it at 110km/h (the trailer would freight-train the FB pretty bad, even with four wheel disks on the trailer).

Cheers,
Harv.
leinamoon

Post by leinamoon »

Thanks Harv,,
The EK weight section has said special 225 is 2490lbs, approx 1130kg, unladen I'm guessing.
I have disc brakes in the front bcoz of HR front end and 186 red, i think still have drum on the rear though.
Really would love to get myself an old cabin car, similar to the tear drop campers which I'm told aren't too heavy,
around the 500 - 750kg in weight, for cruising the highways and other more kinder roads around Australia.
But perhaps sub frame is not ideal, and perhaps weight not ideal [as in the comfort of towing, sway etc??]
Info from Vic Roads - anything above 750kg ATM required an inspection on first reg.
Then this on tow bars and couplings,
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... /VSI24.pdf
in which it mentions tow bar towing capacity!
leinamoon

Post by leinamoon »

Yep, 1.5 x towing vehicle unladen [tare] mass.... :)
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

I have this Hayman one that just fell off the back of my sedan.
Same as in the advertising brouchure Harv posted

Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Bawag
State: QLD

Post by Bawag »

I know this is a bit of an old thread but now that the photos don't work is anybody able to explain what the letters are for all the measurements? I need to make a tabor for a FB sedan.

Cheers Ben
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Bawag wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm I know this is a bit of an old thread but now that the photos don't work is anybody able to explain what the letters are for all the measurements? I need to make a tabor for a FB sedan.

Cheers Ben
Google search FB EK towbar dimensions then click on images, you should find a few examples there.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bawag wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm I know this is a bit of an old thread but now that the photos don't work is anybody able to explain what the letters are for all the measurements? I need to make a tabor for a FB sedan.

Cheers Ben
Apologies for the missing images... PhotoBucket no longer wants to talk to me. Image below will help.
towbar sketch.jpg
towbar sketch.jpg (114.34 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Cheers,
Harv