EK front bumper over-riders

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

EK front bumper over-riders

Post by thebrotherj »

hello all,

I’m seeking a set of straight font bumper overriders for my EK Ute. When I say straight, I actually don’t mind if they’re marked or have a small dent, mostly I just want a set that are less trashed than mine:

Let me know what you’ve got!
Cheers, Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by thebrotherj on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ardiesse

Re: EK front bumper over-riders

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

Your overriders aren't rusted, so they're worth saving.
It's been ~30 years since I last mucked around with EK bumper hardware, so remind me -
The overrider is held onto the front bumper with two bolts at the top (through internal tabs on the overrider) and two at the bottom (via a shaped bracket)? The real question is - access inside the overrider's quite good, isn't it?
Unlike the earlies, which have a mounting bracket you have to cut out before panel-beating the overriders; and unlike FE-FC which have two big return tabs and a bolt in the way . . .

I have rescued quite a few overriders in my time, and I reckon EK fronts will be comparatively easy to panel-beat and file smooth.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I’ve had some success with this too. The chrome seems to stay intact as long as it’s not too sharp a crease. Old riggers glove on the bench top. Get on the back side with a wooden drift.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

J I might have a couple because I am using a one piece bumper no overriders
I'll have a look a let you know
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:I’ve had some success with this too. The chrome seems to stay intact as long as it’s not too sharp a crease. Old riggers glove on the bench top. Get on the back side with a wooden drift.

Yeah I use a few welding gloves piled up for sorting out a caved in section on the bumper. I might pinch a shot bag from my mate’s staging job for future metal shaping attempts. Anyway, I wound up just slowly destroying a piece of medium soft pine on the other side through hammering, but it worked nicely.

I can’t believe how good the quality of chrome is on early Holdens, very thick and it puts up with a lot.
The exchange bumper from Rares that went on the front of the family Kingswood is nowhere near as good as factory.

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote:Joe,

Your overriders aren't rusted, so they're worth saving.
It's been ~30 years since I last mucked around with EK bumper hardware, so remind me -
The overrider is held onto the front bumper with two bolts at the top (through internal tabs on the overrider) and two at the bottom (via a shaped bracket)? The real question is - access inside the overrider's quite good, isn't it?
Unlike the earlies, which have a mounting bracket you have to cut out before panel-beating the overriders; and unlike FE-FC which have two big return tabs and a bolt in the way . . .

I have rescued quite a few overriders in my time, and I reckon EK fronts will be comparatively easy to panel-beat and file smooth.

Rob
Thanks Rob and yeah your memory re: mounting configuration is correct. Still, I could get in there as well as I hoped and furthermore, one of them IS quite rusted, you can see the big bloom of rust bubbles in the photo.

As it goes, I tidied them up as best possible and they’re back on the car. The fenders are pretty bent so a ratty bumper doesn’t look out of place at all...

I’ll still seek replacements if I can cheaply :)
Cheers, Joe

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote:J I might have a couple because I am using a one piece bumper no overriders
I'll have a look a let you know
Neil
I’m definitely keen Neil, thank you. I’ll send you a message

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

J are they EK or FB? I just looked at a picture of Clays Ute front on and his look like yours.

I have a pair of what appear to be FB as they are the same as Clays and can only find one of the longer type that hook under the bumper which I believe to be EK.

Let me know mate.
Neil.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote:J are they EK or FB? I just looked at a picture of Clays Ute front on and his look like yours.

I have a pair of what appear to be FB as they are the same as Clays and can only find one of the longer type that hook under the bumper which I believe to be EK.

Let me know mate.
Neil.

Yeah mine are EK, the ‘hook under’ variety. Thanks for looking though! I’m gonna leave mine for now and come back to it when I’m not so broke Image

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

J PM me your address and I will send you the one I have you can sort it out later.

If I cant help out a fellow Uter then what good am I; I know all about being skint mate went thorugh a period in my life where things were not so hot myself.

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project