Fitting a hood lining

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

stinky
State: SA

Re: Fitting a hood lining

Post by stinky »

You can buy glue dispensers at places like Daleys, they are like an oil school oiler with a trigger but have a brush at the tip instead of a nozzle. It can get messy still, but not as messy as a tin and brush. It's a little slower than a spray gun but probably the best in your situation.
Personally I use a spray gun with spray glue (thinner than the regular contact adhesive) and piece of cardboard as a masking aid and do one end at a time as I have done a few and kind-of know what I am doing. My spray pattern is quite small so less mess. Contact adhesive easily cleans off paint just by rubbing it off as it has tacked or using white spirits if it is properly dry.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Thanks gents.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Stuff I learnt the hard way doing the ute and wagon linings and windscreens:

a) The spray can Selleys Kwik Grip contact adhesive sold in Woolies is useless for the task. It does not dry "hard", but remains tacky forever. Nowhere near enough grunt to hold a hoodlining. Looks OK when you first remove the clamps, then the hoodlining slowly creeps away and falls off. The Selleys Kwik Grip sold in a can at Bunnings is better, but thick like gorilla snot. Hard to control it out of a tin, and ends up everywhere. The Sika Contact-4600 AU Adhesive sold in 500mL cans in Bunnings is perfect. It tack-dries very quickly (3 minutes or so, compared to 20 for the Kwik Grip). Use a little artists paintbrush to paint it on. When you are done, let the brush set. Next time you use the brush, the solvent in the adhesive dissolves the set glue, and it turns into a paintbrush again.
b) There is very little spare fabric on the Rare Spares hoodlinings (the section under the ute rear windows is horrible). Sometimes you need to shift the lining "off centre" so that one side of the car contacts properly. I found that hanging the lining with just clamps, then leaving it for a week helped the lining work out what shape it needed to be. After the weeks hanging, the edges didnt need anywhere near as much stretch before gluing, and the glue had a better chance to hold the lining. Funnily, there are other parts of the hoodlinings with excess material (like the B-pillar edges on a ute) which need trimming.
c) When fitting the screens, the black mastic that ends up on the hoodlining will clean up perfectly with turps. If you get the turps on the window rubber, do not wipe it onto the hoodlining. The carbon "black" from the rubber rubs onto the hoodlining, and refuses to come out. One turpy rag for the rubber, and another turpy rag for the hoodlining. If you are fumble-fingered like me, it helps to mask the hoodlining with blue painters tape before fitting the windows to stop the mastic accidently getting everywhere.
masking.jpg
masking.jpg (645.75 KiB) Viewed 986 times
d) When fitting the installation string into the window rubbers, put an old silastic tube nozzle on the string. The nozzle lets you run the string easily into the slot in the rubber... much easier than pushing it in by hand an inch at a time.

nozzle on string.jpg
nozzle on string.jpg (657.53 KiB) Viewed 986 times

e) Wagon hoodlinings have two rows of toothed clamps on the roof. Do the forward one first. If you do the rearwards one first, you can access the forwards one.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Good stuff Harv - there is so much good info on here , Facebook may have slowed it down but they can never replace the amount of good advice and information on the forum 8) 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.