1959 FC Rear Door Handles, Need to push in to work?

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

brian@cadsense.co.nz
State: INT

1959 FC Rear Door Handles, Need to push in to work?

Post by brian@cadsense.co.nz »

Hi Guys,
I am in NZ and just failed a WOF in my 1959 FC as the rear doors do not open from the inside. Had the car 2 years, this is the forth WOF and the rear doors have never work, and the first time its failed :lol:

I took off the old handles and the spline inside the handle was looking a bit worse for wear, but the spline on the shaft looks OK. so I got 2 new rear inside handles from rare spares and have installed them.

Trouble is they still just spin round and round, even with the new handles!

If I "Push" the handle into towards the door panel I can feel the splines "Click n mate" and the handle operates fine. But when I let go again the panel springs back towards the centre of the car and the handle just spins around and around?

I haven't tried taking the inner door panel skin off to have a look, not sure how to do that..? But the panel does seem to be very "spring loaded" forcing it out. The panel will push-spring towards the outside of the car quite a lot....
Is there a spring or something behind here?
Is there a known fix or likely culprit here before I try to take it to bits and guess?

If the new handle is pushed hard into the spline the door operates fine. Also the doors open and close from the outside perfect.

Many Thanks from Nelson NZ

Bri
thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: 1959 FC Rear Door Handles, Need to push in to work?

Post by thropzed »

Have you installed the locking spring to the inside of the handle? Did you use a removal tool to remove the dodgy handles? The spring clips that hold the handle to the spline must be pushed all the way through for it to engage onto the spline. There is a spring behind the door trim that keeps tension on the handle so the locking spring stays in postion.
Hope this gives you something to go by.
Cheers Theo Z...............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I've had this problem on occasion. The splines on the mechanism may be slightly worn as well. All of what Theo says but if still no joy try removing the spring behind the door trim. It's not that important and will get you roadworthy. Make sure all the mechanicals are well lubricated and nothing is binding including the striker plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

I know this might sound silly but did you buy the front door handles or the rear because the spindle length is different and won't work if you use the front ones on the rear door.
Worth checking before you tear it apart :wink:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

WayneXG95 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm I know this might sound silly but did you buy the front door handles or the rear because the spindle length is different and won't work if you use the front ones on the rear door.
Worth checking before you tear it apart :wink:
Thats for the outside handles , sounds like old mate is having problems with the inside ones ? Are they locking on to the spline correctly or can you wiggle the handles off ? I use a bit of lithium grease or WD-40 or something to lubricate the handles when i put them on , sometimes they dont go all the way on otherwise.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

I need to read - I got that wrong - Yep sounds like the locking spring to me :)
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

Sounds like the retaining circlips have lost their tension or are fitted the wrong way around.
2010-01-30_235554_gram.jpg
2010-01-30_235554_gram.jpg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
jmnugfv.jpg
jmnugfv.jpg (86.11 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

oz_ek wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm Sounds like the retaining circlips have lost their tension or are fitted the wrong way around.
2010-01-30_235554_gram.jpg
jmnugfv.jpg
This would be the first thing I try. New clips and push till they click and stay all the way on.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
brian@cadsense.co.nz
State: INT

Post by brian@cadsense.co.nz »

Thanks Guys,
I found the problem. Its faulty parts from Rare Spares in NZ. Seems like even though you pay top dollar at Rares you dont always get top parts :OMGGG:

See attached image. The "Slots" for the clip which is a secondary operation after casting in China have been cut in the wrong place in some handles. I had a brand new in the box from the previous owner handle which was faulty. I explained the fault to Rares in CHCH and they checked their stock in-house. They had 5 in stock 3 were faulty 2 were OK :erm:
Also, one handle had the slot OK, but the internal "splines inside were to shallow, not allowing the handle to attach properly!

Would replace the new faulty one I had (I didnt purchase it) so I ordered 2x more.

When they arrived one was good, one was faulty.... :yeahhh:

They then posted me another which was also good. So I now have working rear interior door handles!

Pays to check the parts though aye!

Thanks for everyones help.

Bri
Attachments
handle.jpg
handle.jpg (316.63 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
HANDLE PROBLEM.jpg
HANDLE PROBLEM.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1269 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Who would have thought these items are now being reproduced in China? I guess I assumed the rates product were rechromed originals. Well I never!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I bought mine from Danchuk in the USA - they are exactly the same as '57 Chev handles , cheaper as well even with the freight charges :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and the quality is top notch 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.