€#%{£}£#¥ Vent door

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

€#%{£}£#¥ Vent door

Post by Blacky »

Ever had one of those nights when you just feel like burning your entire shed to the ground then going bonkers with an automatic rifle ?? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Figured I better put a heater in the sedan for Tassie - who's bloody idea was it to go there , why can't we have the Nats in Hervey Bay every year ?? But I digress ......... The flap thing seemed to be stuck , no big deal over here , normally you just jam them open and leave them like that . I pulled one out of a wreck up the back , cleaned it up , greased the cable , it worked beautifully. Put it in the car , gave it a push , perfect , hooked the cable up to the dash controller thing and it's jammed solid :evil: back the clamp thing off , give it a push on the door , perfect , clamp the outer of the cable down again , locked up - THE BASTARD :evil: :evil: :evil:

There must be a trick to these mongrels , any clues ??? I was thinking maybe throw the steel ones out and get new ones made out of Teflon like late model stuff ?? Or is there some simple answer that would have saved me 3 hours of dicking around and swearing like a sailor ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
thomos60
State: INT

Re: €#%{£}£#¥ Vent door

Post by thomos60 »

Gday Blacky,
Please find a photo of my cable, and its clamped off position , this is in the closed position.

regards
Thomo
Attachments
20170418_111349.jpg
20170418_111349.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1655 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

thomos60 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 am Gday Blacky,
Please find a photo of my cable, and its clamped off position , this is in the closed position.

regards
Thomo
Exactly the same as mine , as soon as I tighten the clamp whole shebang seizes solid
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Sounds like the clamp is pinching the outer (spiral wound) cable into the inner (braided) cable. Put a thin washer under the hold down clamp so it does not clamp as tight. Increase the number of washers until it holds the outer, but lets the inner slide.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:22 pm Sounds like the clamp is pinching the outer (spiral wound) cable into the inner (braided) cable. Put a thin washer under the hold down clamp so it does not clamp as tight. Increase the number of washers until it holds the outer, but lets the inner slide.

Cheers,
Harv
Tried varying the clamping pressure , if it's too loose the outer slides through the clamp , tighten it up so the outer won't move and the inner won't move either . I am thinking of welding the end of the clamp so there is just enough room for the inner to come out and trim the outer so it sits up against the end but I shouldn't have to go to this much trouble for a stupid little bloody job 😡😡😡😡

BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Calm down Blacky

it will be something simple and it work out in the end there are a lot of knowledgeable chaps on here to help . It's always darkest before the dawn. God i must be getting old quoting these quotes :egeek: :egeek:
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Is the bracket bent? That's about all I've got. Clearly fully tightened it's too much, maybe bend it till it allows the cable to move but not let the outer slip.
Last edited by Devilrod on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Devilrod wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm Is the bracket bent? That's about all I've got. Clearly fully tightened it's too much, maybe bend it till it allows the cable to move but not lt the outer slip.
Good thought. If the "moving arm" is not aligned to the fixed "clamp arm" of the heater control, it will push the inner cable against one side of the outer cable.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

is the inner and outer free of dirt and grit? just thinking if there is dirt and grit or rust of any kind it would reduce the "planned" clearance between inner and outer - flush - put it through some activation under no load to work out any crap and flush again with some silly spray perhaps?
You will find me lost somewhere!
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

I can hear your cussing over here on the east coast Blacky :P :lol:

I've had the opposite problem with mine. Mine moves so freely it won't stay open and the weight of the flap puts it into the closed position. :evil: :roll:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Fixed it today , changed out the vent cable and now it works , kind of.

fastjbav6

Post by fastjbav6 »

Hi Blacky,
Try a piece of rubber cut from bicycle tube between clamp and cable.
It may give it some "bite" to hold the outer cable without crushing it, allowing inner cable to slide freely.

Regards Seb
Yellow Knight
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Lots of lube on the cable and hinge for the flap Blacky. I would also get a centre punch and put a dimple in the clamp so it sits into the gap between the coils of the outer sheath of the cable. I found mine in both cars were just too tight to operate. After that it was just a readjustment of the friction washer on the lever to make sure it stayed open.