Review Mirror glass replacement.

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rtelford
State: VIC

Review Mirror glass replacement.

Post by rtelford »

My interior rear view mirror is crazed, does anyone know if its possible to replace the glass?

Rod.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Review Mirror glass replacement.

Post by Blacky »

any glass joint should be able to , internal or external ??? Might be cheaper to buy another if its the internal one.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
60Special
State: WA

Post by 60Special »

Try a mobile car mirror replacement guy. I have used one in Perth for a rodeo external mirror, much cheaper than a new one.
avm

Post by avm »

Originally I did consider replacing the glass. However, after driving the car several times and noticing how terribly narrow the field of view was in the originally 8 inch wide mirror, I bought a new genuine GM reproduction of a period-correct 10 inch wide version that was supposedly compatible with one of the 1957 Chevrolet cars, and whose mounting hardware is compatible with the fancy chrome-plated FB/EK Holden rear view mirror mounting bracket. Now I have a full width rear view that's crystal clear, and the what's more the new mirror has the day-night function so that when driving at night I am not dazzled by bright headlights.
Project ICKPA.
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

That chev mirror sounds like a great idea. How did you get hold of it?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Do you have a link to the mirror please 😊
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Did a quick google - is it this one? https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... x1048.html
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Further - if there is interest, would be happy to go in for a bulk purchase on something like this (assuming it is the right one). Would save a few $$$ if it has to come from the States. Any takers?
Scott
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I have the chev mirror, i will take a photo of it today installed.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
avm

Post by avm »

Hi,

This post reworked due to popular demand (and me learning how to insert images into posts)...

==============================
How I replaced original 8-inch wide rear view mirror with genuine near-period-correct GM remade 10-inch wide rear view mirror.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below image - Packaging for the new rear view mirror - Shows make, model, and other details:
IMG_20231228_200216.jpg
IMG_20231228_200216.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Images showing old mirror, then new mirror, installed:
IMG20231213235131.jpg
IMG20231213235131.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 81 times
IMG20231214000119.jpg
IMG20231214000119.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Imagines showing fields of view of old mirror, then new mirror - Note how the new mirror shows practically the full width of the windscreen. Camera positioned at eye level of seated driver:
IMG20231213235140.jpg
IMG20231213235140.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 81 times
IMG20231214000133.jpg
IMG20231214000133.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Image showing comparative sizes of the original and new mirrors:
IMG20231214000157.jpg
IMG20231214000157.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Connection of mirror to the fancy chrome mounting stalk is critical. FB/EK HOldens use a hinged connector (tongue is bolted between a fork), not the threaded nut-and-bolt style that appeared on the vast majority of classic rear view mirrors that I encountered:
IMG20231213235329.jpg
IMG20231213235329.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 81 times
IMG20231213235815.jpg
IMG20231213235815.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 81 times
Even when viewed from outside of the car, the new mirror looks good: [Sorry, cannot add more than 8 Attachments, it seems]

Where to buy this mirror (or similar ones)? At the time there were numerous websites that sold suitable mirrors, but as I was working to a strict schedule (roadworthy and registration of vehicle before the Christmas embargo period) I ended up ordering from the only one that guaranteed delivery in time for installation on the night before the roadworthiness inspection:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253170645471

If you're not in a hurry you may find even better options. I did see the one at https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... x1048.html but at time of ordering they did not have suitable mirrors in stock.
Last edited by avm on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Project ICKPA.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks for the info. Found one on Ebay from USA company RealDeal Steel.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Guys,

My mirror is from the 67-69 Camaro series,
I didn't want the day night version.

Hole is bigger but i bushed it and it connects the same way.
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG (121.03 KiB) Viewed 149 times
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG (122.38 KiB) Viewed 149 times
I am pretty sure i got it from classic industries as well but cant find the reciept.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Greg!
Scott
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

avm wrote:Hi,

As this forum makes sharing images incredibly difficult (and NO, I am not installing the Tapatalk app to help do that), I'll try to post some information here... uploading some photographs to DropBox then sharing the DropBox link.

[admins - are you reading this? Look how much mucking around is required just to answer someone's perfectly reasonable request for information!!!]

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/n3r11wa2 ... i&e=1&dl=0

If you visit the above link, you will see photographs, including:

* Packaging for the rear view mirror - Shows make, model, and other details
* Images of the old mirror, new mirror, and comparisons of the field of view of each mirror

Key notes (again, without inline photographs to aid the explanation):

1. Field of view of the new mirror spans all of the rear window
2. New mirror looks good even through the front windscreen
3. The connection type is critical. FB/EK Holdens use a hinged connector (tongue is bolted between a fork), not the threaded nut-and-bolt type that appeared on the vast majority of classic rear view mirrors that I encountered.

I wish I could display the photos in line with this reply and comment on each photo, but the forum system does not allow me to do this.

Where to buy this mirror (or similar ones)? At the time there were numerous websites that sold suitable mirrors, but as I was working to a strict schedule (roadworthy and registration of vehicle before the Christmas embargo period) I ended up ordering from the only one that guaranteed delivery in time for installation on the night before the roadworthiness inspection:

If you're not in a hurry you may find even better options. I did see the one at https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... x1048.html but at time of ordering they did not have suitable mirrors in stock.
I’m not admin, just a regular forum user for eight years or so. I consider it pompous on your part demanding things be setup to meet your expectations, and refusing to adapt, when you’ve made about three posts on here.

This isn’t Facebook, and we don’t have their budget.We have meaningful discussion, and a lot of good information to share. We welcome your involvement in a civil and respectful manner.
Kind regards,
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:16 pm
avm wrote:Hi,

As this forum makes sharing images incredibly difficult (and NO, I am not installing the Tapatalk app to help do that), I'll try to post some information here... uploading some photographs to DropBox then sharing the DropBox link.

[admins - are you reading this? Look how much mucking around is required just to answer someone's perfectly reasonable request for information!!!]

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/n3r11wa2 ... i&e=1&dl=0

If you visit the above link, you will see photographs, including:

* Packaging for the rear view mirror - Shows make, model, and other details
* Images of the old mirror, new mirror, and comparisons of the field of view of each mirror

Key notes (again, without inline photographs to aid the explanation):

1. Field of view of the new mirror spans all of the rear window
2. New mirror looks good even through the front windscreen
3. The connection type is critical. FB/EK Holdens use a hinged connector (tongue is bolted between a fork), not the threaded nut-and-bolt type that appeared on the vast majority of classic rear view mirrors that I encountered.

I wish I could display the photos in line with this reply and comment on each photo, but the forum system does not allow me to do this.

I’m not admin, just a regular forum user for eight years or so. I consider it pompous on your part demanding things be setup to meet your expectations, and refusing to adapt, when you’ve made about three posts on here.

This isn’t Facebook, and we don’t have their budget.We have meaningful discussion, and a lot of good information to share. We welcome your involvement in a civil and respectful manner.
Kind regards,
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
further to what Clay said, i don't have Tapatalk (and also have no intention of getting it) i have no dramas adding pics BUT i am using a computer (phones are to small and useless, plus i don't want to be one of those nuffies sitting glued to my phone :lol: )
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter