Carpet Install

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

camstuart52
State: TAS

Carpet Install

Post by camstuart52 »

Ok this may be a silly question....but:

Obviously dynamat goes down first, do I then re-install the seat and then the carpet or carpet first then seat on top as the carpet I have doesn't have holes or cut outs for the seat rails feet.

Is it recommended to throw down some material deadening also?

Do I use dabs of some form of glue to stop the carpet moving around?

Thank in advance

Cheers
steved57
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Carpet Install

Post by steved57 »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a bit nervous about using Dynamat on the floor. Given the propensity these old girls have to leak water I think I'd be happier with good old fashioned under felt that you can take out & hang over the back fence to dry - and not have a rust trap happening on the floor. Anyone else feel the same - or am I worrying unnecessarily? Cheers.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Not sure Steve on the dynamat and moisture question.

But as for order Cam, dynamat, under felt if you want it, then carpet which at this point you cut small holes for the seat bolts and seat belt bolts, then scuff plates (they hold the carpet in place no need for glue) and finally seats and seat belts.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Well....what's the consensus on the under felt?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

I guess it depends on what dynamat you have used, some do noise some do heat and some do both. I'll most likely use underfelt with the deadener I've got.
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

Devilrod wrote:But as for order Cam, dynamat, under felt if you want it, then carpet which at this point you cut small holes for the seat bolts and seat belt bolts, then scuff plates (they hold the carpet in place no need for glue) and finally seats and seat belts.
Put the seat and seatbelt bolts in BEFORE you lay the carpet, you can then feel through the carpet for the bolt heads to get holes cut.
One important tip! Recheck your seat bolts every month for 2-3 months as the carpet/underlay settle and compress they may become loose.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

So install the seats etc fully and then lay the carpet in, mark and cut the holes then pull the seats etc back out, lay carpet and then re-install seats on top of carpet?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I think what Stinky is suggesting is:

a) start with a bare, clean, painted floor.
b) Insert the bolts into all the holes for seatbelts and seats. Leave the actual seatbelts and seats out.
c) Lay your dynamat (if you are using it). Feel through the dynamat for the bolt heads (easier to feel than bolt holes), and cut around them with a sharp knife.
d) Lay your underfelt (if you are using it). Feel through the underfelt for the bolt heads, and cut around them with a sharp knife.
e) Lay your carpet. Feel through the carpet for the bolt heads, and cut around them with a sharp knife.
f) Remove the bolts from the seatbelts and seat holes.
g) Install your seats and seatbelts.
h) Install your scuff plates.
i) Use a hair dryer to gently heat the carpet in any areas that it will not lay correctly (go easy... do not melt it).
j) check again every few weeks or so and re-tighten your bolts as the dynamat/carpet/underfelt smooshes flat.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

stinky wrote:
Put the seat and seatbelt bolts in BEFORE you lay the carpet, you can then feel through the carpet for the bolt heads to get holes cut.
One important tip! Recheck your seat bolts every month for 2-3 months as the carpet/underlay settle and compress they may become loose.
Knowing what you do for a living this is something I've always wondered. So many ways for the same end result. I've done most of my cars all the same way. Lay the carpet and then trace the holes from underneath with a sharpie, remove and cut holes then lay underfelt and carpet. Then trim out the underfelt.

The retightening of everything is a must.
Trev

Post by Trev »

The last time I did carpet I layed it all in then got my soldering iron and burnt holes for the seat bolts from underneath.
This was by far the easiest way I've used.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I normally lay the carpet in and stick a small phillips head screwdriver through the seat and seat belt holes from underneath then trim around them from above.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Awesome info, its exactly what i needed thanks

Now i just need to track down some suitable retractable seat belts....dont have to be period

Cheers
steved57

Post by steved57 »

Hemco mate. They've got everything you'll need and more.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Hmmm... Cam's question has got me thinking about my wagon.

I'm planning on running Dynamat on the floor, on the doors/tailgate and (if there's enough left over) on the roof. I'm aiming to reduce road noise... not too fussed about radio sound quality. The floor and roof are simple enough, but I wonder about the doors. There seems to be two ways of laying it:

a) the simple way that the Zim Pirates favour. The door trims are removed, and the dynamat applied onto the inner door skin (the part of the door the trim connects to). On a late model car this is an area with lots of pressed steel lumps and bumps. The dynamat is pressed onto all the steel, and holes cut for door handles, speakers etc. The Zim Pirates reckon this is good for improving stereo quality. The FB/EK doesn't have many pressed steel lumps and bumps to stick to - you would end up with a large unsupported area in the middle. I guess the Dynamat would effectively replace the plastic sheet door card liners though.

b) the harder way. Zim Pirates do not like this way as you have to pull the door apart, including the door glass. No drama for me as my doors are in pieces anyway. The Dynamat is then stuck to the inside of the outer door skin (the bit that you smack with a shopping trolley at Woolies). Aparrantly this method is better for reducing road noise. It worries me a bit though that this area is normally wet, and has a tendency to rust... not sure if the Dynamat would help or hinder. I guess you could cut the Dynamat so it did not cover the bottom 2" or so of the door skin, then once the Dynamat was in you fishoil the hell out of that 2".

Any views on which way is better for an early Holden?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Option 3
Fix to inside of inner skin? I would be concerned about the water issue fixing to outer.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie