Inertia Seat belts

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

paperboy
State: ACT

Inertia Seat belts

Post by paperboy »

Hi,
Where abouts did people mount their inertia retractable seat belt mechanism for front belts to the floor using L brackets? Has anyone got any pictures they could post?
Regards
Geoff
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Inertia Seat belts

Post by Harv »

G'day Geoff,

The inertia reel position depends a bit on how fussy your certifier wants to be. If they are not too worried, you can mount it beside the B pillar, though need to come far enough inboard to avoid the body crossmember.

If your certifier is fussy, you will need to comply with NCOP and/or some of the ADRs... this gets messy. Both NCOP and the ADRs are a nightmare to work through - lots of maths and angles and measurements and technospeak.

My certifier (engineer) was fussy, so I had to go through the works. I took photos as I went, and have written it up. Once I get my wagon back together, I'll take some final photos and publish it as a Seatbelt Guide. If you want a sneak-peak copy, PM me an email address and I'll send you a pdf copy of the draft. It's rough, but will give you a pretty good idea.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

Thanks Harv,
I don't have to worry about it being certified as the cars already registered in the ACT and we don't have yearly inspections. I've got L brackets that I want to mount onto the floor next to the B pillar, but wasn't sure about the body crossmember underneath. Am worried the body crossmember goes inboard too far and I can't mount them next to the B pillar. Any photo's will help.
cheers
Geoff
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I cut a small section out of the bottom of my B pillar and put a plate in there then welded the cut section back in. The car was painted when I did it , just needed to touch up the insides of the B pillar which you hardly see once the seat is in.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

Don't have the skills or welder to go down that path Blacky. My options are either infront of the B pillar/crossmember or behind the B pillar/crossmember behind the front drivers bench seat, using a L bracket attached to the floor.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

I used the under floor brace, I drilled up through the hole in the bottom of it into the floor then used an L bracket. A nice thick washer underneath did the trick for 12 years.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

Thanks Trev, I like your idea sound good to me, what length bolts did you have to use. I've already got the plates.
regards
Geoff
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Not sure Geoff, just drill the hole and stick some wire through to measure the length.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3