Replacement Headlight Switch

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Replacement Headlight Switch

Post by funkyscooter »

Took the plunge and ordered a new headlight switch off ebay from the States. Mine had a broken dimmer wire. Looked at the one on offer from Rares for $150 + and decided to take a chance at a 'cheaper' option. Still ended up just south of $100 inc postage. Spent at least $50 in my time researching, so lets call it even.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1947-1955-C ... 2749.l2649
IMG_7786.JPG
IMG_7786.JPG (654.61 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Knob fits, dimmer resistance is 0 - 5 ohms. Original was 0-6 ohms. Not sure if the bi-metal safety cutout is different as the unit is sold as 6V. Most likely run relays to the headlights fuse separately. Might test at a later stage.

Only things I needed off the old switch were the knob, the nut to screw the switch to the dash, and the rubber boot that sits between the nut and the ceramic resistor which I guess is some sort of isolator?

Comes with all the screws etc. Pretty happy.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Replacement Headlight Switch

Post by Blacky »

Nice work - maybe we could get a list of who would be interested in one and do a bulk order ? I would be up for two ......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Was thinking of buying a Rares one but $140 odd. I’d be in for two as well.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I'll take one tooooo
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Should have asked the question when I ordered - didn't want to get a bunch and find they where a dud.

Does make me wonder what else on the car would have been shared with GM cars. Always amazes me what you can get in the States. I saw the nut to retain the switch on a different site. Did not see a matching knob/shaft.

I don't have an original wiper switch either. Not sure what I should have been looking for, but as I don't have the original washer bottle, my thinking now is to use the existing headlight switch, and rig the dimmer as an on/off for an after market washer. For that I will need a new knob/shaft and retaining nut
Scott
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Use a wiper switch from later model like HR. They have a cental push pin to power squirter. You adapt the centre button on original knob to friction fit on the pin.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Clay - I'll start looking for a knob to adapt. And just thinking about it, not sure that there would be room for a headlight sized switch where the washer switch goes.
Scott
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Or you can buy a Cole Hersee switch , check out my wiper conversion post for the part number , it also has the push to squirt function.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 amOr you can buy a Cole Hersee switch , check out my wiper conversion post for the part number , it also has the push to squirt function.
G'day Blacky,

Did you manage to find a local supplier for the Cole Hersee switch? I bought a pair of them last year, but had to bring them in from the US.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:33 am
Blacky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 amOr you can buy a Cole Hersee switch , check out my wiper conversion post for the part number , it also has the push to squirt function.
G'day Blacky,

Did you manage to find a local supplier for the Cole Hersee switch? I bought a pair of them last year, but had to bring them in from the US.

Cheers,
Harv
Think I got mine from Ashdown Ingram in Perth ??

EK283

Post by EK283 »

G'day Blacky,

Cheers,
Harv
[/quote]

I also bought 2 last year and I got them from a place in Smithfield, I will look at the receipt and find out what the companies name is.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

OK - I sent the bloke in the US a message regarding these, he has 10 in stock and will do us a deal on the postage , so who is in ?
Last time I put my hand up to organise something like this was for the little terminal strips headlight wiring terminated into on the inner guard, back when they weren't available in Oz and I ended up with 2 extra sets when people bailed out so please only say yes if you are dinkum.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Blacky,

I'm in for one.

Just be careful with the import duty as anything over $1000 dollars attracts a higher fee, and from memory including postage.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I am in for one or two but don't want to be greedy if supply is limited.
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:26 am Blacky,

I'm in for one.

Just be careful with the import duty as anything over $1000 dollars attracts a higher fee, and from memory including postage.

Greg
Its all taxed these days , thanks to that greedy arsehole Gerry Harvey .......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: