Horn contacts

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Horn contacts

Post by Brett027 »

Good work tracking these down Blacky. Having just sorted 2 of this style for my bombs, I can foresee trouble with those pictured. The steering wheel plate contact end is much longer than the approx .5mm long fb one, and the spring and lead length is also very long- probably too long to fold inwards. Having said that, the fact that the pieces are all there gives everyone something to work with. I keep thinking that they are an easy lathe job and with that in mind I bought some nylon stock to use to make the insulators last week😀.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:that one is a solid rod...
this one looks closer...
https://www.ecklers.com/full-size-chevy ... 509-1.html
No it has the same spring loaded piece in the middle with the plastic isolator already on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

gpi wrote:that one is a solid rod...
this one looks closer...
https://www.ecklers.com/full-size-chevy ... 509-1.html
Yeah all the parts look much the same except as above the spring part and insulator tube look longer in the pics but hopefully there is enough spring length to allow it to work - maybe with a trim of the solid end should work - nice work blacky - import 1000 and sell em to rares as theirs was nearly 50$ if I recall correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
gpi

Post by gpi »

safe to say the guy walking around with his hands in his pockets has horn contact
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Rob found these not me - you should be thanking him ...... I have ordered one and will report back once received and trialled - its going to be a little while though - its going to Mooneyes to come over with a larger order to avoid the ridiculous freight fee.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by yaapeet30 »

This tread is a ripper. Many moons ago I got at mate to turn a couple of these up (FE FC Style ones). Needless to say, these are now worn. Since Rob’s reply the other night I have looked around at alternatives.

The Mustang / Early Fords look extremely similar. I am tempted to purchase one in order to measure the dimensions unless others are aware of the size of these. (Can purchase locally as well)

https://sydneymustangparts.com.au/shop/ ... ct-spring/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/&*#@-Falcon ... XQyY1TP4FJ

These look interesting and possibly can be adapted from Summit Racing from the states but once again postage would be a killer.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2620000010

Here is one from a VW.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.as ... -951-581-A

The Chevy ones I looked at were for 6 volts. Would that make a difference?

Food for thought.
Cheers Rod
Fex
State: QLD

Post by Fex »

Blacky wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:35 pm Rob found these not me - you should be thanking him ...... I have ordered one and will report back once received and trialled - its going to be a little while though - its going to Mooneyes to come over with a larger order to avoid the ridiculous freight fee.
Blacky. Is there any chance I can add to whatever order you’re in on and try one of the FX/FJ style? I’ll have to do some better measurements in the next couple of days but they look close. No dramas if it’s not an option. Happy to pay up front.

Cheers, Andrew
21DEEA98-E173-42EC-96AB-C4328C171561.jpeg
21DEEA98-E173-42EC-96AB-C4328C171561.jpeg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 734 times
AA9FFBB7-DE90-49C3-8A44-89DC837100D9.jpeg
AA9FFBB7-DE90-49C3-8A44-89DC837100D9.jpeg (122.76 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Fex wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:42 pm
Blacky wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:35 pm Rob found these not me - you should be thanking him ...... I have ordered one and will report back once received and trialled - its going to be a little while though - its going to Mooneyes to come over with a larger order to avoid the ridiculous freight fee.
Blacky. Is there any chance I can add to whatever order you’re in on and try one of the FX/FJ style? I’ll have to do some better measurements in the next couple of days but they look close. No dramas if it’s not an option. Happy to pay up front.

Cheers, Andrew

21DEEA98-E173-42EC-96AB-C4328C171561.jpeg

AA9FFBB7-DE90-49C3-8A44-89DC837100D9.jpeg
Send me the part number mate and I will see if the gear has left yet.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Fex
State: QLD

Post by Fex »

[/quote]
Send me the part number mate and I will see if the gear has left yet.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. Part number is 759037 47-57. No dramas if it doesn’t work out.

Cheers, Andrew.
D95F415C-DD7F-482D-A10E-B89FA663B9E8.jpeg
D95F415C-DD7F-482D-A10E-B89FA663B9E8.jpeg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got one set this morning from me old mate Doug Ramsay from the QLD club , they are off a 55-6 Chev - looks like they could be used if you either cut and shut the outer sleeve or 3D printed a new one , then shortened the braid and the spring and replaced the upper contact with a flat one .
Bit of work but doable, early days , will wait and see if the other ones are any easier.

Top is the repop from Danchuk , middle is a couple out of EKmart, obviously two different types not sure if FB and EK or what the story is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Both kinds of horn contact - braided and "split-pin" - were used in FB/EK.

I agree - if you shorten the Chev sleeve, shortened the braid and used the Holden top washer, I think it'd work.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

G'day Blacky,

The recent discussion on lighting switches reminded me of this one. Did the trial horn button ever arrive from the US?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 pm G'day Blacky,

The recent discussion on lighting switches reminded me of this one. Did the trial horn button ever arrive from the US?

Cheers,
Harv
no , havent seen it as yet , have called Al at Armadale Auto parts to follow it up - I was only thinking about this on the way home yesterday when a mate of a mate rang me chasing a horn contact ......

I couldn't even remember what i had ordered - this is it her , no idea of dimensions just taking pot luck at this :lol:

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/34 ... pring.html

Was $10 for the part , $15 to ship to LA , plus shipping from there to Perth and wait 3 months, probably would have been not a whole lot more to ship direct .... if they work I will get 20 of them or so to make it cost effective - Rares ones were $37.50 each but probably made in China by the look of the photo of the one on the Rares site.

Harv

Post by Harv »

Brett's eBay score reminded me of this - any news on the imported horn contact?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Are you still looking Harv?
Sucker for a rusty bomb