Horn contacts

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Rjrehart
State: VIC

Re: Horn contacts

Post by Rjrehart »

With respect to the horn contacts, does anybody know whether either the earlier / later model Holdens have a similar part that might do the job, or god forbid using a part from 1960's &*#@? Failing this, will I be able to get a RWC , without a working horn?
Thanks Richard
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Wont get a roadworthy in Vic without a working horn theoretically but you might get a friendly inspecting mechanic that might tick that box as long as you fix it down the track and no - other models don't work as far as holden goes but not sure of the other brand.
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Its not difficult to set up a push button on or under the dash for your horn - it doesnt HAVE to be in the centre of the steering wheel. You can unplug it where it goes into the column and run that to a push button then from the other contact of the button to ground.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:45 am https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORIGINAL-ST ... xyXDhSf~m6

:wtf:

Cheers,
Harv
I hate that thieving arsewipe and I have never met him .............. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Cripes! It doesn't even look right - has a secondary spring inside the main one.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Horn parts for FB EK have always been expensive and precious in my memory. The chrome rings got broken. The buttons got souvenired. Dweebs played with the fiddly its and lost them. Consequently magpies like me hoarded the bits, dwindling supply.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Out of curiosity, I got onto the Chevs of the 40s site and opened up the (FE) master parts catalog -

FE-EK horn ring mounting spacers, contact spring and horn switch spacer have 665xxxx part numbers: they are not designed by Holden.

Chevs of the 40s has a "horn ring insulator" kit (3 pcs) for 1950-1954 cars, which look exactly like the ones for FE-EK.
They also have the "horn pivot ring" for 1950-54 cars, which also looks exactly like its FE-EK equivalent.

They have a horn button contact (759037) for '47-'57 cars and trucks, which looks awfully like the FX-FJ horn button contact.

And finally, Chevs of the 40s has a horn button contact (270751) for '47-'53 trucks, which looks similar to the FE-EK horn button contact. If anything, the spring and wire are too long. Shortening to suit Holdens shouldn't be a problem. US$10 each. The only disadvantage with Chevs of the 40s is the shipping costs for low-cost orders.

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Just tried to order one - $10 for the piece and and $81 postage :esurprised:

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Maybe if you could get more say ten people interested, the shipping costs should still be the same . . .
(I'll put my hand up for a couple.)

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have one on the way - stay tuned .......................

Harv

Post by Harv »

Thankyou Mr Black for giving it a trial. If it works, I too would be up for a couple.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/34 ... pring.html

270751.jpg
270751.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Likewise I would be up for at least two and happy to buy a larger parcel if you wanted to hold some stock here for clubs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Has anyone ever tried the kits? 55-58 impala - all looks same except the contactImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gpi

Post by gpi »

that one is a solid rod...
this one looks closer...
https://www.ecklers.com/full-size-chevy ... 509-1.html