Horn contacts

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Horn contacts

Post by Blacky »

Belly760 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:25 pm These also look close. Not sure if anyone has tried them.

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespare ... lcon-xm-xp
Possible- be interesting to get some dimensions, the Holden ones are 1/4” diameter and about 3/8” long for the brass section
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I really need to pull my finger out and finish these - all the bits are there just need to put them together
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

My thoughts they look the right diameter but too long. Being tri 5 ups the odds of fitting though. And you only need one.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Belly760
State: NSW

Post by Belly760 »

Thanks Blacky and Clay. I’ve ordered one of each to see what works. I need one for each Ute so maybe both will work. If the &*#@ one is too long couldn’t I just grind some graphite off. Anyway time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Yes was thinking you may be able to shorten it. Blacky will have a supply at some stage if all goes to plan and yours doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by yaapeet30 »

Hi I have previously purchased the falcon contact. These are the dimensions. Overall length - 23.5mm, length of contact - 11.3mm and diameter of contact - 4.8mm.

All of the dimensions are comparable to the holden contact except the diameter of the contact. The falcon one is too narrow - 4.8mm compared to 6.3mm (step section) and 5.8mm (main body of contact) of the holden one. I think we can get it to work by inserting a sleeve to take up the 1mm difference in Bakelite orifice of the steering wheel. I stopped at that point but do plan to revisit.

Another modification that may need consideration is the contact at the top of the spring. The falcon one is 4.4 mm while the holden one is 9.4mm. This would require soldering the holden contact to the falcon one.

I think it is all doable to make it work.

Cheers Rod

Ps: Another idea I have been toying with is to turn up some contacts using an old spigot bearing bush. Just need to get a lathe.
Belly760
State: NSW

Post by Belly760 »

Thanks for the feedback Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces